1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio 1 1/16 oz Load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I bought a case of the Rio Classic Game 1 1/16 3 1/4 dram load to try on the Sporting Clays range,the box says they are 1250 fps.My chronoghraph say more like 1300 average,but suprisingly light in the recoil department.I shot a box at the trap club for handicap last week(24yds I usually shoot a 3 dram 1 oz.load)and they are pretty impressive,would this be a legal ATA load.Jerry

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jerry,

I'd say not, because they, the ATA, would go by the 1 1/8 oz limits. This would be 1290fps.

I've shot some of those shells before and they do work well on the sporting courses. I prefer the 8's, but the 7 1/2's work well also. These also make nice call bird shells when shooting games.

ec90t

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

if they are factory shells, I would think ATA would go by the FPS listed on the box, not what you came up with.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

As Skeet man says, the ATA accepts what's on the box in the absence of a protest which has never, as far as I know, happened.

Neil

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Looks as if a little shell swapping in boxes is a full proof way to cheat! Just my thoughts though.

ec90t

6. Neil Winston

. . . unless what was marked on the shells differed from the box, ec90t. That might lead to further review. I don't look at as a problem, since the same could be done with shot-size and that hasn't happened in a while.

Neil

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I shoot 30 grams of 7.5 at 1175 fps with greed dot from the 27 and love them. We have so many great scores that I don't see how cheating on loads will give an edge over the legal loads that we shoot. Bruce

8. jdsfarms

What is the legal ATA limit for 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz.loads,some threads say 1290fps for 1 oz. and others list 1325fps,Is there an online ATA rulebook where you can look it up.Jerry

9. Neil Winston

It's at the link above; page 50 tells all.

Neil

10. jdsfarms

Thanks Neil!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.