1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ringing Barrel??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yeah I do sometimes but it is normally the rifle or pistol shooters over on there range shooting steel plate or metal targets.

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Not the first time I've heard of this but can't remember the reason now.

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

otnot, I experienced this when I overtightened the rib on my unsingle. I backed it off and just snugged the bolt and it went away. JRM

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Skip ... I have a method of some sort?

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

It probably just got warm enough up there that you can finally hear something besides your teeth banging together!

Brett D.

6. skeezix

skeezix Member

I had a ring in my DT10 - finally tracked it down to a loose screw in holding in the forearm iron that had backed out enough to touch the bbl.

john

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed? If its a good method I hope everyone the best of success with it and in case it is a bad method I suggest nobody follow it.

8. webley

webley TS Member

Quote:
    “The ringing barrel is sometimes caused by the method of attaching the barrels to the chambers. The chopper lump method is the one that usually rings”.
    -------------

The term “chopper lump” only really applies to side by side barrels where the half of the lumps are forged with each tube (giving an axe head appearance to the breech end of the tubes before joining). For some reason the term has been extended to include O/U barrels where the lumps are forged with the bottom barrel (like on a Belgium B25 Browning). However - Perazzi use a mono-block construction for the TMX barrels and O/U’s where the tubes are sleeved into the block. Any method of construction (chopper, mono-block, dovetail lump etc) should result in the same barrel harmonics - unless something has gone badly wrong with the joint!

I used to have one of the Japanese made Browning BPCR single shot rifles in 45-70; these had a steel forend hanger extending forward from action under the barrel. When the forend was attached but free-floated from the barrel the rifle would ring (detectable when shooting – very evident when dry firing). Although such a minor thing it was surprisingly annoying. Putting a thin rubber strip between the forend tip & the barrel removed the ringing.

Could the forend iron on the TMX be resonating?

Regards

Russell

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

that's the ringing option. very expensive option. it tells you when to pull or release trigger. this gun must have all the bells and whistles.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

When I saw "ringing barrel", I was going to say, "welcome to the world of Rem 90-T's.

I don't know if it holds true of the TMX, but I've pretty much found the ringing source on the 90-T. With the steel receiver and a perfect solid fit of the bbl to the face of the receiver, when the hammer strikes the back of the receiver,(this too has to be a square hit) it will emit the ring.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

JIM ---

ROTFLMAO...that ring isn't your perazzi. It's your head. Farner's SKB unsingle does the same thing. You can hear it two posts over if you're listening for it.

BTW, the club has enough freezer space for 100lbs of salmon, I checked with Don. And we're welcome to use it.

jeff

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

barrel harmonics

13. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i used to hear a ringing in the guns with seperated barrels (i.e. no side ribs) no problem with guns with side ribs.

14. dednded

dednded TS Member

Otnot,I experienced the same thing with the KS 5 special.I traced it to the front adjusting mechanism on the front of the rib.Shimmed the space a dab,use 2 sets of hearing protection(plugs and muffs) and quit shooting Remington Nitros.Problem solved,Chris.

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

If you have enough metal buildings around, you could hear ringing every shot. I shoot at a couple of clubs near ribbed metal buildings and this ringing echo lasts the whole shoot long!

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

My buddy's SKB 85TSS rings. At least when it isn't broken.

I hear the metal roof ringing as well at one gun club i shoot at.

Thought it was just too many concussions so I never brought it up with anyone.

17. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Thank you GunDr.

Personally I like the 90T ring. "Pull...DING..[target breaks]" One down...99 to go.

18. pdq

pdq Member

I bought a Perazzi TM-1 Special a year or so ago & was surprised to hear it ringing. Asked a number of Perazzi shooters at the club & the answer came back that it was the rib making the noise. From the way they reacted, i.e. no surprise, seems like it may be common.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.