1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ring or hoop front sight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Anyone ever mess around with a large ring or hoop front sight for trap? How about an anti-aircraft grid type?
    It's too early and my mind is wandering...
    dju

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Calling Joe Kuhn...

Ed

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I have thought about a 'hoop-style' front sight on occasion. It could easily be made from a coat hanger and would be (in my mind) about the size of a full-choke pattern as seen from the 16-yard line. Put the clay as close to the middle of the circle and pull the trigger. Sounds easy, right?

LA in MA

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Maybe something like this:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=40980.0

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

You are right about the coffee.
    I am thinking of a ring that you peer thru, then forget, like the large ghost ring rear sights on rifles and pistols. If you had a system to align your head and eye with the bore/pattern, then you could focus entirely on the rock. But then again I'm just thinking aloud.
    Thanks for humoring me this morning.
    dju

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"If you had a system to align your head and eye with the bore/pattern, then you could focus entirely on the rock."

There is a system for just that purpose. It is called making your gun shoot where you look. Then you learn to mount the gun the same every time. Then you have success.

Bob Lawless

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My Bushnell Holosight has a ring hanging out there in mid air. It's great. I hold even, look just below the ring, pick up the angle peripherally and drive the ring right to the bird. POI is about an inch high at 12 yards.

You still have to stay on the gun and you still have to focus on the target. The unobstructed view down to the house is 'cheating'.

The best thing is my non-dominant eye has nothing to key on, so it focuses purely on the target. Last weekend I shot a 98 in singles and a 96 at short yardage. Gun is an 870.
    joekuhn_2008_030318.jpg

joekuhn_2008_030317.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.