1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right to work states vs forced labor

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Luckyman, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

JUST THE FACTS PEOPLE!!!!!

Unions And The Right To Work
    IBD Editorials ^ | February 22, 2011 | Staff

Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:50:57 PM by Kaslin

Labor: If unions were formed to protect workers from employer abuse, right-to-work laws were created to protect taxpayers and workers from union abuse. States with such laws enjoy higher growth and purchasing power.

With Wisconsin still under siege by the "angry mobs" of bused-in union workers, the Ohio of GOP Gov. John Kasich is the next target of those opposed to restricting the collective bargaining rights of public-sector unions that have bankrupted state after state. Ohio's SB5 also aims to address a similar Buckeye budget deficit in the billions and the anchor of state-funded union pension obligations.

Bills in the Indiana House by Republicans who gained a majority in November would go both Wisconsin and Ohio one better by making Indiana a right-to-work state, removing the requirement that workers pay union dues.

Those who have assembled the mobs of Madison are motivated more by the Wisconsin legislation's impact on coerced union dues than they are by "worker rights."

Curbing union power in 22 other states are right-to-work laws under which workers, taxpayers and states do better and enjoy more freedom. Right-to-work states limit the ability of Big Labor to organize and forcibly collect dues from employees. Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio are not yet among them.

According to statistics compiled by the National Institute for Labor Relations Research, real personal income in right-to-work states grew 28.3% from 1999 to 2009 vs. 14.7% in forced-unionism states — almost double. Disposable income in right-to-work states stood at $35,543 per capita in 2009 vs. $33,389, and growth in real manufacturing GDP jumped 20.9% from 2000 to 2008, compared with 6.5% in forced-unionism states.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some people are misreading the whole Wisconsin scenario.

The problem is unions that represent taxpayer funded public employees. I am a believer in private sector unions, because the keep a balance of power between the worker and the employer.

This does not apply in the case of the UAW. Any time a union gets too big and powerful the tail starts wagging the dog.

This is what happened with WEA and the Wisconsin State Government.

They can have their free health care and free pensions...........When I and all my friends and neighbors get ours.

HM

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Luckyman...Just a question, nothing more intended,

According to the last paragraph in your post more money in being made, +13.6% for non-union workers, more disposable income, +$2154 for non-union workers and manufacturing is growing by 14.4% in right to work states.

If these are true statements then WHY is everyone harassing, bitching and crying about unions on this site????? As soon as some of the posters find out if your union they start on the harassment campaign.

Like I stated on another thread, I don't think government workers (local, state or federal) should be unionized. But I will still support Trade Unions in the private sector.

Bill

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The problem with unions in the private sector is that the excessive costs of the "negotiated" contracts price the products they produce at more than the market will bear (taxes on corporations bear a share of the responsibility for the excessive cost). An example appears to be the closing of the GM sheet metal stamping plant in Indianapolis. According to news reports there was a contract proposed to reduce costs that would have resulted in the plant staying open. It was rejected before before a vote was taken and the plant closed. Manufacturing companies have to compete with imports and if costs become too high they move to a lower cost location or relocate overseas. Unions demands and taxes imposed by government, intentionally or not, frequently kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Is it any wonder so much of our manufacturing is now done overseas?

5. likes-to-shoot

So are you saying that the last paragraph in Luckyman's post is incorrect?

6. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

How is that incorrect? The fact that it costs more for Union labor to produce anything because of the contracts negotiated within a Collective Bargaining environment...Not hard to understand....When contracts are negotiated by the Unions it is you give me my way or your service ceases to exist..Just like the teachers unions holding our kids hostage then trying to reverse the blame! What a joke....Why do you think companies like Olin MFG moved out it's centerfire ammo plant out of of Il to a right to work state????? The cost to produce....Unions make everything more expensive and the quality is usually compromised in the process....FACTS!!! I know for some pro-union people it is hard to comprehend because they are part of the problem and don't want to understand....

7. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

Just imagine, if trap shoots were ever unionized, everyone that entered would get to share in the pot, you would get punched to the 27 if any of your buddies made it, and everyone could earn their grand slam pin by shooting a 65 or 70 in each event. Sounds like a lot of fun, huh? That's why it's not working for the states.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Why should my property and income tax amount be decided by a union's ability to negotiate these people raises/benefits? At least the "Giant Corporations" are using their own money.

9. ou.3200

Likes: Luckyman's last paragraph is absolutely correct. The statistics are of average disposable income. It reflects greater economic activity in right to work states, more people employed and earning wages.

10. likes-to-shoot

I guess I can't speak for other states but here (Iowa, a right to work state) isn't seeing much for work. The town I live in will lose the last of the employees (800) at the end of March. This plant was our largest which is moving to Mexico. $16.50 was the top wage for this plant, Just under $10.00 per hr was the previous plant that went south (250 jobs). 360 jobs from the plant before that( $14.65 per hr.) All to Mexico!! Real big money eh??? So its not just unions causing all the manufacturing migrations.

Or am I misunderstanding these FACTS!!

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mmmmm.......Is Mexico a Right To Work state?

We trade union people are smart enough to know that if the Boss doesn't make money neither do we.

Can't say that about SEIU or UAW.

HM

12. ou.3200

No, union demands aren't the only reason employers leave the country. High taxes, oppressive government regulations (EPA etc.), restrictions on construction of facilities and NAFTA all contribute to the exodus.

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A lot of these companies are also tired of being taxed to death so that
    the government can pay overpaid union employees and their fantasy benefit and retirement packages. See all shit rolls down hill.....it just seems to collect in the same place.

We are failing because Americans have figured out the way to give themselves our treasury.

Government union workers are the straw that will take the camel down.....a cancer that must be treated.....now or later.....take your pick.

The biggest joke in Ohio is that ODOT is nothing more than a public funded subsidiary of the OCA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.