1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right to Carry in National Parks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smity, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smity

Smity Member

Watch this Video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkS2BRoCd2I

Everyone,
    On March 19th, the right to carry a loaded, concealed firearm in national parks and wild life refuges was suspended. You can help reverse this by sending President Obama an email expressing your view. If you choose to do so, it is best to be professional, short and to the point.

For example: Dear Mr. President, I support the right to carry a handgun for self defense in our nation's parks and wild life refuges. Please reinstate this policy immediately and expand it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states, not just those that have right to carry laws. This is essential for law abiding citizens to safely enjoy these areas without fear. Thank you.

You can send an email to the President by going to www.whitehouse.gov and click on Contact Us, or just click on the link above. The rest is easy.

Please encourage your like minded friends to do the same.

Thanks,
    Smity

*****UPDATE 5/8/2009******
    In my original post, I suggested going to www.whitehouse.gov to write to the President. I have since changed that based on some advice someone gave me in another forum. If you go to http://capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/ you can put in your zip code and write to the President, your Senators and Representatives all at the same time. You can also choose to send it in email form or print it in a letter. It's quite impressive. You can also do the same for your state and local officials from the site. It's connected with NRA ILA, but you don't have to be a member and I didn't see any logo or anything on the email.

2. Smity

Smity Member

Well put. I hope others are also weighing on www.whitehouse.gov.

Can we get 10 people to do it? We have two so far, myself and Longshooter.

Smity

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Looks like the judiciary and not the executive branch that brought this one on.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Today, a federal district court in Washington, D.C. granted anti-gun plaintiffs a preliminary injunction against implementation of the new rule allowing concealed carry in national parks and national wildlife refuges.
    Until further notice, individuals cannot legally carry loaded, concealed firearms for personal protection in national parks and wildlife refuges.

The court did grant NRA's motion to intervene in the cases. Under federal law, NRA is entitled to an immediate appeal, and NRA will exercise that right.

"Just as we did not give up the fight to change the old, outdated rule, we will not give up our fight in the courts to defend the rule change," said NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. "We will pursue every legal avenue to defend the American people's right to self-defense."

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I will carry regardless.

5. Brad Metcalf

Brad Metcalf TS Member

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Where I go, so do S&W. Sometimes forgiveness is easier than permission. Jake

7. Smity

Smity Member

Three down and seven to go. Anyone else willing to send an email to the President, just follow the instructions above. Trying to get to 10.

I think that one of our problems is that we let the NRA do all of the talking for us. Let them be the ones that use the tough tactics. We can contact our elected officials and speak as reasonable, responsible people.

If enough people email the President in support of carrying in national parks, then he will have to listen. (Please be professional as outlined above).

I am baffled why there is no centralized method of using all of our voices at the same time targeted at a single objective at a time. You would think as marksman that we would be good at such a thing.

This is as good a place to start as any. Anyone else willing to participate?

Smity

8. Smity

Smity Member

Thank you 330craigd.

That's 4. 6 to go. I am getting a very good response from people that I have talked to locally. A lot have sent emails. Trying to get to 10 from Trapshooters.com.

If you have decided not to send the email, please post the reason why. No pressure, I am just trying to understand if people arn't sending because they don't agree, or because they are worried about some sort of reprisal. I admit that it is a bit intimidating to email the President. If the answer is the latter, please say so and I will send another email under my name claiming that I spoke to x number of people that were afraid to send an email, but agree non-the-less.

By the way, the reason that was given for the suspension of the policy permitting carrying in national parks was that the "proper environmental impact study had not been done by the Bush Administration." Can you believe it? What possible environmental impact could there be?

Smity

9. Smity

Smity Member

Now were talkin'! 5 to go.
    Thank you Lead Man.

I am setting up an account on www.smith-wessonforum.com. I will post the same thing there as soon as it is approved.

Can anyone suggest any other good, professional, shooting related forums that I could use to get the word out?

Smity

10. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Sent mine.

11. Smity

Smity Member

Thank you jack1122.

That makes 6. 4 to go.

I just posted the same message on www.coltforum.com. I will keep everyone posted on the totals from all forums.

Anyone else ready to make a difference?

Thanks,
    Smity

12. Smity

Smity Member

We are off to a great start. I just posted this message on defensivecarry.com and have already had a positive response.

Thanks to those that have taken the lead so far. I think we are going to do better than 10. Any predictions?

Smity

13. STOS

STOS Member

Message sent!

14. ksaul1

ksaul1 TS Member

Done!

President Obama, I support the right to legally carry a handgun for self defense at anytime in our nation including parks and wild life refuges. Please investigate and provide the push as needed help reinstate this right immediately and consider expanding it to include national parks and wildlife refuges in all states, not just those that have right to carry laws. Thanks for your consideration in this issue. Kevin Saul, Dublin Ohio

15. Smity

Smity Member

That makes 8. I posted on defensivecarry.com last night and they are up to 5 already. I added smith-wessonforum.com this morning. Please pass the word to weigh in and I will keep a running total of all forums.

Thanks,
    Smity

Trapshooters total = 8
    Grand Total = 15 and growing!

16. Smity

Smity Member

Trapshooters total = 8

Grand Total = 23 and growing!

Smity

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Done, now and many times before this but have yet to get a response to any of them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. Smity

Smity Member

Trapshooters total = 9

Grand Total = 28 and growing!

I have posted the message on 6 forums with great feedback and still looking for others.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more people to participate, I am all ears.

Smity

19. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Obama just taking notes on you guy's email address and having them put in to prosecute later file. I believe all of us that have a CCP permit should be allowed to carry anywhere, anytime in the whole USA. Only that will deter criminals from harrassing innocent people.

20. Smity

Smity Member

Trapshooters total = 9

Grand Total = 33 and growing!

hoggy, I like your idea of national ccw reciprocity. If I see enough support for the National Parks issue, I will apply the same multi-forum email approach on other issues as well. Please pass the word around on this one. I am absolutely sure that there are hundreds of people on this forum that want to send the email and haven't for one reason or another. Probably fear of reprisals from the Obama administration. But, as Benjamin Franklin said "Gentleman, we must hang together, or we will surely hang separately." For us, being hanged means having our right to bear arms eroded. Our right to bear arms is slowly (or not so slowly) being eroded (infringed) right now. The question is -- are we going to speak up or clam up? What say you?

Smity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.