1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

right stock length?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

how do you know what the right stock length is for you? even with adjustable trigger length?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Earl, somewhere between 1/2 and one inch between your nose and thumb for start. Then fine tune it to where you can make a smooth swing to a right hand target on post 5 and not be inhibited. To a certain degree, your the one that needs to finalize what is right.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

smsnyder,

Adjustable triggers are more an adjustment affecting hand position and grip size and shape than an adjustment for the length of a stock, the length of pull - LOP.

The correct length of a stock seems like a simple question but it is not. For that reason your question is impossible to answer simply. The usual check for LOP is the distance between the nose and trigger-hand thumb. The simplicity is prevented by the other stock dimensional considerations and the different aspects of the shooting form used, e.g., the things that affect the position of the cheek on the stock. All can affect the correct LOP.

Things that directly affect the correct LOP include (in no particular order), the height and placement of your gun on your shoulder, your stance, the length of your neck along with the width and slope of your shoulders, to name some of them.

I hesitate to say it so directly but if you are really interested in a complete answer to your LOP question, you will have to buy my book. There is virtually no other way short of visiting a good, professional stock fitter.

Rollin

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

An important as of LOP is head position & height of comb---look at Harland Campbells latest DVD it appears he has a rather short LOP, look at how high the rib is on his gun ---he tried my gun & he said "he could shoot it"---my LOP is 13/3/4 & I shoot with a fairly high rib & comb--go to a good gun fitter & get're done---best money you can spend---now if I could turn the clock back 40 years I would be up there with the big dogs----Phil

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I seem to shoot with a lot of short LOP shooters. Who shoots the shortest LOP on the Big Dog circut?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.