1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right Shoulder Surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I'm getting closer to my scheduled surgery, Jan. 20th, for a right shoulder torn Labral and bone spurs. The Orthopedic who is operating is the US Men's Basketball Team Orthopedic here in Colorado Springs so hopefully he knows what he is doing. I was told 4 -6 weeks in a sling and 4 months therapy. Shooting maybe in 4 -6 months. Is there anyone out there who has had similiar surgery? If so, how long did it tkae before you could shoot?

blade819

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

subacromial impingement,,1 year of hell healing up,,had to sleep setting up for 6 weeks,,,that was July 06,,,perfect now, good luck, and Merry Christmas,,

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I had major surgery about 10 years ago, 4 pins in my right shoulder. I started back too soon and it never has been quite right. Follow the PT instructions because you won't even be able to move your arm up without their assistance for some time and don't start using the arm too soon. I bought a Browning Recoilless so I could shoot earlier but in retrospect I wish I had waited an extra month or so. Good luck healing. It will never be the same as new and try to not lift or pull heavy items after the surgery for at least 1 year and for longer than that try to do work no higher up than your shoulder level. Not fun. Glenn

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

In my opinion, from experience, there are too many vaiables that enter into this to really know what is going to take place after this type of operation. A lot will depend on the skill of your doctor, how soon therapy is started, how you work at doing your own therapy, how high your pain threshold is, and how quickly you heal. I had a badly torn rotarcuff repaired, the socket was split and they had to install a couple of staples to hold that together, two bone spurs were removed, and my bicep was literally hanging by a couple, of what looked like, threads in the picture that was taken with an arthroscopic camera. That was reattached. They removed the pain pump, and started therapy on the second day after the operation. I thought they had lost their mind. I was assigned therapy to do at home each day in addition to the two days a week at the surgeons location. Within 10 days I had myself off the pain pills(hate those damn things) which were causing my system more problems than the surgery. I finally figured out after a week I was having very little pain anyway, regardless of what almost everyone had told me would happen. Four weeks and the sling was gone, 2 months and the surgeon checked my shoulder, looked at the therapists report, just chuckled, said I can hardly believe it, and unless you have trouble I won't need to see you again. I was done. I do have 100% movement in that shoulder in spite of the surgeons assuring me prior to the operation that I probably would only regain about 80% movement. I also must say that I do have a couple of friends that did not have the same results with a different doctor in a different city. They didn't start therapy for two weeks. I think part of your destiny is in your own hands. DO YOUR ASSIGNED THERAPY

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Although a torn labral is not as serious as a torn rotator cuff, I did watch the surgery on Utube and almost threw up! As far as the pain, I haven't had a good un-interrupted night of sleep since early last summer. And it seems to get worse. I have never had my right arm imobolized so that will take getting use to. I still work and am on the computer most of the day so I'll have to design a "comfort zone" position which will still keep my upper arm imobile. Of course the most important aspect is shooting. Hopefully I'll be better than new since I'll be able to raise that right forarm without grimising. Primary cause of the injury???? AGE! Another reason for men to look forward to growing old. It may have started initially by lifting but over the course of time the tear became 33mm. Certianly that 18,000 competitive rounds 2008 didn't help. Merry Christmas.

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

You will become creative with your left hand. In about a week you will actually be semi-proficient. I did sleep a few night in the recliner. Mine was not made for a left handed person, so I tied a short piece of cotton rope around the release handle so if I had to get up in the middle of the night I could do so by using my left hand. You won't have to watch the surgery on yourself, and old people can heal pretty fast. I was 72 when I had my shoulder surgery done. You will be fine and will gain some new experiences along the way.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

What is this, something catchey. First they tried orthoscopic surgery and I feel they did more harm then good. Hence, new Dr. & now I'm looking foreward to surgery on Jan 7 to install a reverse shoulder replacement. Forty plus years of shooting, combined with thirty years of swinging hammers and pulling chains as the Dr. put it, "destroyed the shoulder beyond repair" They tell me I will probably never shoot from that shoulder again so, now I'm trying to figure out how to switch to Left handed shooting. My recliner has become my second bed and sleeping more then three hours at a stretch an unheard of happening. Its got to get better then this. Come Feb, it will be a year since I last shot but with luck I should be back by mid year. Look for a Sr. Vet southpaw that's missin' & cussin' and doing most everything backwards.

Big Jack

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Big Jack, what is a reverse shoulder replacement? I've had 5 surgeries including a replacement and two years ago a revison of the replacement. Never heard of a reverse replacement. After 5 surgeries all I can tell you is do the the PT as if it was life and death and you'll get better faster and be shoting sooner.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Bruce, As the surgeon described it, they reverse the dynamics of the shoulder. Move the ball (normally on the arm bone) to the body and the socket to the top of the arm. The shoulder socket or what I have left is enlarged due the arthritis damage beyond repair. Look it up on the internet. After I watched one of the surgeries, I believe these surgeons would be better carpenters then many I know.

Big Jack

10. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Damn Jack that hurts just reading about it,,,,,,

11. mike T

mike T Member

Here is a couple of stories for you.

I fell on my left shoulder and did a posterior dislocation, fracture of the socket tear of the labrum, and total rotator cuff tear, 5 hours of surgery. with a scope first then opened up. I have 2 screws and 4 or 5 clips in my shoulder. Surgeon checked with a orthopedic surgeon at the university of Iowa about the labrum tear and he said do to my age (60) he would not try to repair it. If I was younger that would be a different story. Lucky for me he was able to fix it when he was in there. I was in a sling with no movement of you should for 6 weeks. Then lots of Physical therapy after. When I started therapy I could not get my arm any higher that straight out from my eyes. But after weeks of work I now have full 100% Motion of my shoulder. My surgeon is most surprised due to the amount of damage I did to it. So this happened in late June of 08 and I started shooting again in March or April of 09. NOw I am a right handed shooter.

Story # 2
    My brother in law did a complete rotator cuff tear Had surgery in Sept 08 He only had surgery with a scope. Was in a sling for 6 weeks then pt also. He went bowling in Jan 09 and started shooting in March or april of )( He is a righ handed shooter. Was sore the first time or two But we went to the Grand and shot for 3 days with out any trouble.

Here is the most important thing follow your surgeon's directions and do the Physical therapy.

We both hane 100% motion and don't have any pain

Good luck
    mike t

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

blade- I became sold on Precision Fit Stocks when a friend of mine had shoulder surgery and it was the only thing he could shoot. After you get feeling better, I would strongly advise you to look at them. After all, they do look somewhat like a prosthetic device.

Pat Ireland

13. JRW

JRW Member

When I tore my rotator in right shoulder (my shooting shoulder) I received one very good piece of advice. Practice wiping with left hand, my wife would not be helping me do it. Jerry

14. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Blade,

I have had total replacement of both shoulders in the last 2 years.

Prior to surgery, pain was intense with sleep depravation being the worst side effect.

Am now back to full competition Trapshooting for the last 7 weeks and been in the winners circle 5 out of those 7.

At the age of 60 next summer life has just begun again, surgery and physio is not that bad, just keep the thought of taking the line again in the near future and that will keep you going, it worked for me.

Good luck and let us know the results, Big Jack all the best to you and good on you making the decision to have the surgery (we spoke last June).

Respectfully.........Release Trigger...........Downunder.

15. oakley21550

oakley21550 TS Member

Had both rotator cuffs repaired in the last five years. Do as instructed by surgeon and DO THE PT RELIGIOUSLY! It took a full year to get full movement back, but pain is completely gone long before this and there is plenty of motion to get anything done you need to do. I took up crow hunting eleven months after the last surgery and have no pain what so ever from the recoil. This was just a couple of months ago and I am 63 years old.

Oakley White

16. geneinnc

geneinnc TS Member

You have a VERY optimistic DR. All I can say is you best make every PT session, and listen to every word they tell you about what you can & can't do at home. If you miss one session of your at home PT, your wasting another month.

I was able to shoot a few rounds of 410 skeet at 10 months, add another year until I could shoot 12ga.

Good luck.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

All good advice. Have had both shoulders replaced and I'm thankful that I live in an age of these medical miracles. Good Luck.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Good advice, indeed. I've had well over a dozen dislocations, repair surgery, and finally a total replacement, and I can tell you that it's in your best interest to follow the surgeon's instructions to a T and stick with the program regarding physical therapy. The shoulder is the most complex joint in the human body and there are no shortcuts when it comes to recovering from surgery.

-Gary

19. BassMeat

BassMeat Member

I had the exact same surgery done 4 years ago. Granted I was 24, it was not much fun. However as Geneinnc says, listen to your doctors and do the PT. I had the surgery done 6 weeks before my first fishing tournament of the year (right handed). Against my doctors wishes I fished for 2 days (utilized my meds at night) and it was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I was sore for a couple of days afterwards. My partner worked moving baits and made the long cast, I just flipped around so that made it easier. I know it was not shooting, but during a tournament I make around 500-1200 casts per day. The impact of shooting would a little tough I would say but I did sight in my turkey gun with some potent shells and it was not horrible.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If ligaments and tendons not torn entirely through, may I humbly suggest looking into prolotherapy, i.e., "irritation therapy". This is a very old fashioned remedy that involves injections in the area with mostly sugars and sterile water. This tricks the body into healing beyond the point where it initially healed. This treatment fixed a painful achilles of mine that was torn half way through and at this time I am undergoing treatment on my right shoulder's rotator cuff area. Ultra sound showed frayed and weak ligaments and tendons. It will take four or five treatments; I finished number 3 yesterday, and shoulder is coming around quite fine. Original trauma occured in '73; major re-injuries occured in '99 and in '06. In '99 I could actually hear "something" inside the shoulder tear when I hurt it. So..I suggest one look into this as an alternative. I finally got tired of living with the discomfort when, after 150 rounds of trapshooting during a day, the shoulder became mildly stiff and sore.

The Mayo Clinic endorses this treatment if appropriate for the injury, as did our past Surgeon General, Dr. Koop. Koop also went under this treatment. The treatment also was used as a last resort a couple of seasons ago for Dodger pitcher Saito...it staved off the "Tommy John" operation to save his pitching career. Worth at least a consult with a Dr. that does this kind of therapy. Recommend that one "google" prolotherapy.

I hope my 2 cents here may help somebody not go under the knife if they don't have to. Not a "miracle" by any means; keep in mind that something broken all the way through or cut all the way through won't heal due to prolo alone. All I know is that I am having tremendous improvement after two months that only involved three five minute sessions of injections. Ten rather painless injections each session.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoulder replacement limitations skeet shooting

i had a reverse shoulder replacement 6 weeks ago and still require physical therapy

shooting skeet after shoulderauthroscopy

shooting trap skeet shoulder replacement