1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right handed shooter missing hard lefts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1166, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1166

1166 Member

Looking for some input to my missing an occasional hard left target from post one, seems to be a barrel-bead relationship to the target. Rarely ever miss a hard rite from post 5,hard to explain but seems as though when passing the target I seem to sometimes lose the rite picture, any input will be appreciated Thanks

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

You may be pushing the gun against your cheek causing you to lift your head.

3. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

If you are a two eyed shooter, check your foot work on station on point your toe at the far front corner of the trap house, point you barrel at the left outside front corner. If it doesn't work just turn your foot work a little more left to open your swing.
    Good Luck - make smoke

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"...but seems as though when passing the target I seem to sometimes loose the rite picture..."</I></blockquote>...sound like a classic case of an eye dominance conflict (or bead checking)!

Keller

5. oz

oz Active Member

try not passing the target. shoot right at it or before it.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What is your LOP?

Gary

7. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

A right-handed shooter has to be very careful to keep his face on the gunstock when he swings from right to left. The tendency is to swing the face away and to try to bring the gun back to the face.

Charlie

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lefts give me a lot of gun speed, and I shoot right at them with very little or no lead.

If I am shooting slow I apply some forward allowance.

Try pulling the trigger just as the bead hits the bird.

HM

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Sounds to me like an eye dominace/crossfiring problem. "....when passing thru' the target I sometimes seem to lose the right picture" That moment is when the eye shift occurs. Try the scotch tape over the off eye lense trick and see if that helps.

John C. Saubak

10. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

are you looking to much for straight aways and not seeing the left angle coming out of the trap are you smooth if not you are looking too much at the gun,Dan

11. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

"Rite", "rite", "loose"?

Maybe lack of education holding you back. Try spell check or dictionary...

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Spell check won't catch "loose" instead of "lose." I see this error all the time and it drives me CRAZY!!!

On another subject. I had the same problem. It took a while to figure out that on the left angles I was swinging the gun to the left with mostly my arms and shoulders - and not turning my entire body. The result was too fast a move and a change in the angle of the gun to the target line - which caused me to lose sight of the target behind the barrel.

My solution was to lock the gun into my shoulder and make sure that the move to the target started at the hips - like the analogy they use of the gun turrent of a tank. That slowed down the movement, kept the barrel perpendicular to the target line, and gave me more control of the needed lead.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I was swinging the gun to the left with mostly my arms and shoulders - and not turning my entire body."

dickgtax has covered what I feel is a large portion of the cross-firing problem with his words above! That leading hand move may cause a loss of bird/bead relationship talked about here.

Watching shooters intently, looking for their different moves in how they attack a target shows up on 1 and 5 moves pretty quick.

I used my buddy's video camera, when he wasn't aware I was videoing him, to prove to him what he was doing. Once a shooter actually sees himself making an unknown to him mistake, he can fix it himself and not until most times.

Hap

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I think charleyj10 has the right answer. I am a left handed and have trouble with hard rights on post 5. The exact opposite of the problem 1166 states. The gun is being pulled away from the face. Stay with the gun and follow through.

15. warren

warren Member

I agree with Old Cowboy being old and a cowboy both gives you a lot of good common sense.

warren

16. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Check your left hand grip...you may want to lighten up on it a bit if you have a tight grip.

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Maybe lack of education holding you back. Try spell check or dictionary... "</blockquote></I>rbmtrap...I agree with the "lack of education" part...apparently YOU aren't aware that computer spell checkers will not flag words that are properly spelled but improperly used, are you??

Keller

18. romie

romie Active Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Right handed shooter missing hard lefts
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Dec 24, 2012 - 10:06 PM ET
    Website Address:

A right-handed shooter has to be very careful to keep his face on the gunstock when he swings from right to left. The tendency is to swing the face away and to try to bring the gun back to the face.

Charlie
    this guy is right I have to put a death grip on the gun to avoid this

19. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I'm a lefty and had, (HAD?!? How about still have?), the same problem with station 5. As mentioned a few times above I was "pushing" the gun to the bird. The idea I try to keep in my head is to not just look at the bird but look at the LEADING EDGE of the bird. I was constantly shooting behind. Focusing on the leading edge seems to have the added benefit of keeping my head on the stock until after I pull the trigger.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

back rite shoter bead pane

trap missing hard lefts