1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right colored lenses

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cynergystan, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Is there an "all purpose" color lens in shooting glasses? Are different colored, interchangeable lenses a good idea? Do you really have to spend $300 for good quality shooting glasses? Would appreciate your thoughts before I go and spend more that I need to for another "toy" that will sit unused in my shooting accessory case. Thanks.Stan Phillips

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

How are your eyes when it's bright out or when it's cloudy out?

My husband uses his "regular" RX glasses to shoot in. Says he really doesn't see the need for 'colored' lenses. However, when it's really bright out, he has a problem (starts squinting). So, he's getting his new RX glasses with the transition lenses (like he had before). That's all he needs.

I have a light sensitivity issue, so regular 'clear' glasses won't work. I have multiple colored lenses, of which I use 3 regularly and the others as needed. Mine are all Post 4's, btw.

YMMV...

3. woodski

woodski Member

I used the cheaper wrap around shooting glasses in yellow (dark days) and vermillion (clear or sunny days)with fair sucess. I then listened to people I was shootin with and tried their $200 3 pairs of different lenses shooting glasses and what adifference it made in my scores. I reasearched and found the Post 4 optics to be just what I was looking for in colors available, price and most importantly to me the service they rendered me in chooseing the right colors of lenses< sizes, etc. I watched my friend scores go up as more of us bought these type of glasses. Rangers were my second choice, thats what they use. Good luck and break more with better glasses. I am, 99 in singles two weeks ago. Bob

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Lately I have been using just some plain 'ol Ray Charles glasses ... black as night and cant see a dang thing through them but they aint helped my shooting one bit and they aint really hurt my shooting either but at least people at all, aint helped it but aint hurt it either.

5. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Thanks starshot2b. What are the "right colors? Does it depend on the target color, background color, brightness, haze? I too, am light sensitive. I wear contact lenses. Anyone have any idea where to go to get the sought after info? Thanks.

6. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Look at the FAQ's part of the website to answer questions, order part for pricing.

Shooters see color differently, also must consider that we shoot with variable backgrounds and target colors. Each of us need to evaluate colors personally. Gray, as in gray transitional, does not change colors as we look through the lenses. There is also a brown transitional available that does enhance orange. Anti-reflective coating also create a more clear poly and the ZiessAR gas treatment makes the lens surface harder.

Maltzie

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Stan, all I can tell you is from my experience - my lens colors may not work for you as we may not "see" the same.

FWIW, I predominately use polarized Desert Glow (pre high def)and VLites for bright sunny days. Light Yellow (target orange?) for cloudy or night shooting.

I also have Kiwi Golds for shooting green targets against a hilly background (Sage Hill in particular) and Shooter Purple Passion for total blue sky background (these are the bomb!).

The first 3 were based on my extensive initial discussion with Mike Rinard on the color targets I normally shoot, the backgrounds of where I mainly shoot and the light sensitivity of my eyes.

I would suggest that whomever you decide to go with, you talk to a knowledgeable person at that company and explain what you need. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You need to actually "LOOK" through the different shades of lens to determine which is best for your eyes. I bought the rainbow assortment till I found the colors that suited me for different backgrounds and light conditions. With prescription lens, this method of learning can get expensive in a hurry. Hap

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Borrow some. Many shooters have many sets, they even forget they have them.

10. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I'm currently shooting with Ranger XLW's but I would seriously consider checking out Maltzie's website as the glasses he is selling seem to offer more bang for the buck.

I wouldn't consider shooting competitively without a set of glasses with interchangeable lenses. I use the CMT lenses when it is sunny and vermillion or light purple the rest of the time.

hubcap

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Stan:

Other than an all-around color - the answer to all your questions are yes. You want to amplify target color and supress background color if possible.

Shoot orange targets, use a color "for you" that enhances red spectrum and if shooting against trees minimizes the green for better contrast. When you got your last Rx, did you have your eyes checked for color deficiency - any?!

Borrow a pair of glasses and as many different pairs of lenses as you can to get a good representation of options.

The basic Ranger set is well priced under $200. Their website has all the colors and the what they're used for. Try Morgan Optical out of New York.

Jay Spitz

12. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Thank you all who replied. Where do I find "maltzies" website and who is Mike Rinard and where do I find him? Starshot2b, thanks. I don't have any color problem respecting my sight. I do shoot in bright light on sunny days (the price of living in Southern California). Green targets against some green trees in the hills which are full of grayish-brown shrubs, bushes, etc. Post4 sells a kiwi green lens that is supposed to enhance the green color of the target. Makes sense, but won't it also enhance the green in the background? As much fun as this quest is, I have to go and earn a living.Stan Phillips.

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Stan - Mike Rinard is Post 4 optics (click on the website address above for further info about glasses, lenses, contact info, etc.).

FYI - I have the Kiwi Gold's specifically for green targets. I wear them primarily at Sage Hill (Reno) where the background is just as you described above. Made all the difference in the world in my ability to actually "see" the targets. I could not see the target at all, with my other lenses. It can be a challenge with the broken targets in the background, but it doesn't seem to make the shrubbery any greener...just the targets.

Good luck in whatever you decide...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.