1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Right Arm Pain (tennis elbow)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 257 ackley, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 257 ackley

257 ackley Member

Over the past three years I have developed, what my doctors calling tennis elbow, from shooting....I have the must pain while raising the gun to shoot...

I practice 3 time a weeek (500 rounds weekly) and 5,000 to 6,000 reg. targets yearly...

I shoot a Caesar Summit with a Rad..

Does anybody have any ideas how to cure or change my set-up to reduce to pain?

Thanks

Shawn

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Try a Copper Bracelet. It worked for me, it does not work for everyone. Golf store or Pro Shops would have what you need, but you'll pay a premium there. Good luck, Bob

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

See the link

Rest, Ice, Stretching, and Naproxen

And go to the pharmacy and get one of those arm bands that goes over your forearm near the elbow. Specifically made for this kind of thing. Make sure you follow the directions and put the little pad where you're supposed to. Wear it when you shoot.

Be patient. This takes months to heal, and it WILL come back, just about the time you think you have it whipped.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

See the link for recommended treatment.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Guy goes to the Doctor and says "It hurts when I do that", Doctor says "then don't do that." Seems simple enough.

Eric

6. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I had the same problem at one time. Do what Timb99 says and be patient. Anticipate straining your forearm and out the arm band on. Mine took many month to heal.

Chris

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

This will not work for everyone. But, I had tennis elbow in my left elbow two years ago. I started swimming, and by the end of the summer the pain was gone.

I used a Finis swimmers snorkel, as I never was a swimmer, and that helped with the breathing rhythm.

Danny

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The Cooper Lastrap Elbow bandage worked for me.

9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have had it also. Tried the elbow strap...kind of helped as it takes the strain off of the up-stream damaged/frayed part of the tendon...but mine did not heal and its really hard to completely rest your arm for many weeks at a time for healing. Got so bad I couldn't lift a cup of coffee.

Sports medicine doc gave me a cortisone injection, haven't had a problem since and that's been goin on about 4 years now.

Good luck

10. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Get the injection of cortizone.I had it in both elbows at the same time,caused from doing heavy curls,and the cortizone will fix it.However;it will take a little time!The shots hurt like a son of a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't wait.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Cortisone, arm bands etc all work to a degree. I've had the good fortune to have it in both arms. Since repetetive motion is the common denominator with tennis elbow you need to exam what you are doing wrong. Every time you hyperextend your arm you are stretching and inflaming those tendons. Analyze your gun handling and find a way to do it without staigtening your arm completely at any time.

Robert

12. romie

romie Active Member

. It involves specific physical-therapy exercises to stretch and strengthen muscles and tendons around the injured elbow.
    fore arms exersise I know work

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I had that problem a few years back from reloading too much on a weekend. Since I went to a hydraulic set-up, I haven't had the problem again.
    Pat Haskins

14. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

shoot left handed

15. eperry

eperry Member

1. Ice Massage ( Put an ice cube ina a ziploc bag, and gently massage over lateral aspect of elbow about 3-4 minutes.)
    2.Tennis elbow strap ( Place about 1.5 inches below elbow ) This sould be applied to gentle compression, just enough to compress tendon. It changes the direction of pull on the insertion site on the bone.
    3. stretching program for arm can go on line and find info, especially before shooting.
    4. Physical therapy with ultrasound treatments
    5. If you medical condtion allows anti-inflammatory RX
    6. Steroid injections as a last resort. ONLY by and orthopedist, not a primary care doc ( Easy to rupture the tendon)
    7. Most important the longer you have had it, the longer it takes to reslove.

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

This is what worked for me, but it took about 8 months for it to completely heal:

1. Non-use, as much as possible

2. Stretching excersize where you hold your arm straight out and force your fingers toward the floor.

3. DEFINITELY get the cortizone injection. I would have healed more quickly if I had done that sooner.

4. If you have to use it, then use the forearm brace to stabilize the tendons.

Basically, do what Tim99 told you.

17. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

I had it as well due to job related use. Since I'm self employed my boss wouldn't let me change what I had to do. I tried the arm band, PT with ultrasound, and cortisone. The cortisone worked best, but eventually I had to have surgery to correct it. It was only a few weeks out of service. Jack

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Light stretching, forearm band and rest work well. Ice is good right after an injury. It reduces the blood flow and reduces swelling. Heat typically is better a day or so after the injury. Heat increases blood flow to the area and speeds up healing. Not getting older every day is also a great help. You simply have an inflamed tendon. I would not try any form of cortisone without some study of the contraindications of this hormone. It can do a lot of things, some good and some bad. I had "tennis elbow" resulting in some discomfort when I mounted my gun but the cause of my affliction was not caused from mounting the gun. Make sure you are not doing something else that places stress on your forearm.

Pat Ireland

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm with Pat.

Try conservative means of treatment before the cortisone.

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Start shooting younger....oooopppps....Getting old ain't for wusses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where put bracelet for right arm tennis elbow