1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rig grease from Birchwood/Casey

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I went to my local gunshop today to pick up some new cleaner, lube, and grease. He was out of my normal grease and suggested I use Rig grease. He said it keeps stainless 1911's from galling so it should work just fine on my Beretta's.

Anyone out there use this stuff?

ss

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

RIG grease is not really for lubrication. It was originally marketed as a Rust Inhibiting Grease.

When the previous company was manufaturing RIG, they did offer a special formula just for lubing S/S. I don't believe the current Birchwood Casey product is for the Stainless steels or "hinge pin" areas.

Doug

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The original RIG was great as a rust preventative. I have no idea about the Birchwood Casey product. I still have an ample supply of the original, so it might be awhile before I find out if they are the same. As stated before, it's not the best for lubrication. My supply is 20+ years old.

4. razor

razor TS Member

ss,when i bought my 682 e the dealer told me when you are done shooting wipe the old grease off and when you put the gun together for the next shoot apply new grease. he said i don't care what you use but this RIG grease is good. 86,000 rds later still doing what he told me. keep your head down,razor

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Thanks razor,

I've always whiped and cleaned the old grease out and used new, but thanks for reminding me how important this is.

GunDr and Quack Shot,

The tube I have says RIG+P stainless steel lube. it is a medium colored grease with a definit petroleum odor.

It says that it won't break down under high pressure or heat.

[​IMG]

ss

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The original Rig is a better rust preventive than military cosmoline. I have used it for years

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have a can that I continue to use. It was my dad's...he died in 1950...

JON

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Chiefjon... My dad died in 77 as I held his hand. He appreciated that his youngest son was there for him. I recall it vividly. I was the one entrusted to get himn to the hospital when he could not pee. He was not a verbal man... But he was loving. Even when he smacked me around.

Jack

9. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

The RIG+P is indeed different from regular RIG grease. It was used on, and I believe developed for, the early stainless pistols, which did sometimes suffer from galling between the slide & frame. I used it successfully to prevent galling on my new Randall stainless .45 pistol in 1984. Good stuff, I still use it. Phil E

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There was a product that RiG made called the Rig Rag. It was a piece of sheep hide with wool still attached and impregnated with Rig.

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

short_shucker you got it right about the Rig+P. Ruger included it for years with their Red lable's. As everone knows Red lable's do not have replaceable trunions and so it is very inportant to keep them from galling. Ordinary RIG is like a bore butter for black powder shooting, besides a very great rust preventive. In fact the container for plain RIG mentioneds it is good to use as a bore butter. I have a relatively high acid content in my fingerprints and I use the orginal RIG on all my firearms

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Still using my can of original RIG from around '68, have some of the ss stuff and I use it on a couple of old S&W stainless guns that had a tendency to gall and lock up, a 63 and a 66. Helps but doesn't cure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

applying rig lubricant by birchwood casey

rig greese

rimfirecentral and rig grease on stainless steel

will regular rig grease harn a stainless steel pistol