1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifles vs. shotguns for retaining value

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Over the past 45 years of hunting I've collected a few rifles that have appreciated nicely in value, like a Savage 99 in 358, Win. 64 in 30/30, left handed SS Win in 338 and a left handed Rem. Model 700 in 270.
    I still hunt a little and have a nice custom MRC that I'd keep.
    I'm not looking to replace my trap gun (Kolar) but would selling these rifles and buying another K or P gun give me something that would retain it's value better ?
    Maybe a CD would earn me more, but you can't shoot a CD. Just asking on a nice summer afternoon.

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

IMO some guns do better then others over time. Of the ones you listed Id say only the 99 would bring any fair money and if the 64 is in fine shape that could also. It does depend on condition.
    Sell if you are not using them Id say and get a new shotgun you will use, it may take some time to really appreciate, but then like homes for sale you may not ever find a buyer unless you fire sale them.
    I sold all the guns Ive not used, and got 2 new shotguns I do use and dont miss the old guns & have plenty of $$ left over for a rainey day from them.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I guess if you're buying and selling high end guns all the time you're probably going to take a bit of a beating but if you keep 'em for 25 years (like me) you get a reasonable dollar for them.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hi-in rifles are seldom used, and kept pristeen. Hi-in shot guns are generally used a lot, and most look like it. What would you buy used, knowing this.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The question is too general to answer.

In the case of rifles, technology has had many advacements and introduction of many calibers. Years ago a rifle was excellent if it would group an inch or less. Now the good stuff shoots dime sized groups.

As to shotguns, high quality is much more expensive. My rifle shooter friends can't believe how much High grade shotguns go for.

My 20-20 hindsght would want Shotguns more than rifles, in the older models.

A. H. Fox, Parker, Purdey, etc. That said, my taste these days is titillated more by big barrels and fast travelling bullets. (not to mention bits of fur and meat flying all over the landscape.)

Sort of depends on what phase you're in, doesn't it?

HM

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Guns in general are horrible investments for me because I can't seem to part with any of them.

That being said, I do have a few shotguns that are valued much higher today than what I paid for them 10 years ago. Can't say the same for any rifles that I own. For example, I picked up a very clean prewar M42 about ten years ago for $800. Guns like mine are going for about $1,600 now. But there again my M42 has no resale value because I can't part with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

value retaining shotgun