1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jake boy, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jake boy

jake boy Member

Have 5 people coming for hunting season short 1 rifle best buy under 500$ 308 or 30-06 Thanks Robert.

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Savage 110 package gun.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Check the pawn shops. Hurry as its almost to late in many locals.

Trons, suggestion if new.

Either caliber. They each have their followers.

4. oz

oz Active Member

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

either but 30-06 slightly more available ammunition at out of the way places and more choices of factory loaded premium but the 308 has at least half as many choices

A used Rem 700

A new rem 710 or the Savage package= do they call those the edge?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

I have a remington mdl 742 fired 6 times that I would sell for $400.00 Shipped. Pictures in the want to trade section under 742. 99.5% rifle! Rick Gibbs

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

You gotta be kidding me. They have the hunt booked already...but don't have a rifle? That's like entering the Tour de France, and asking what kind of bike you need for that.

8. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Subject: Rifle
    Email:
    Date: Sat, Oct 13, 2012 - 11:10 PM ET
    Website Address:
    You gotta be kidding me. They have the hunt booked already...but don't have a rifle? That's like entering the Tour de France, and asking what kind of bike you need for that.

Now thats funny! Your handle should be Buzz-kill.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

I'll qualify my statement by saying I don't know this to be true...but I just have this really creepy feeling that in situations like this, shots get taken at game animals by hunters who couldn't tell you where that rifle hits, at that distance, if their life depended on it.

When the hunter can't be bothered to bring his own gun, and rifle and hunter make first acquaintance with each other at the time of the hunt...I'd say there's a better than average chance of it.

Hope I'm wrong here.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Since they are not bringing guns, is it because they are inexperienced or because they are having problems with transporting them?

If inexperienced, the 308 is a bit friendlier on novices than a 30-06.

If that's not the case, then what game are they hunting? If deer, the 308 is fine. If anything heavier, like elk, the 30-06 should get the nod. Not that a 308 won't put down an elk, but in our terrain the last thing you want to do is pack out elk quarters from a deep ravine and through a lot of undergrowth. You want them DRT.

As for the gun, the Savage 110 package gun is good. The Stevens is cheaper because it lacks the Accutrigger. Do not get one of the new plastic Remingtons. They suck more than Linda Lovelace.

Have the shop bore sight it, but make them shoot it and adjust to each individual. Check the ballistics charts and sight it in high at 100 yards to extend the range for them.

If they are novices I really hope they can hit what they aim at. Are they being paired up with experienced hunters? Novices often get buck fever and freeze or blaze away without results.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My brother went on an Elk hunt with 3 other shooters and a shooting guide. His .308 did the deed with single shots on 4 of the 5 kills.....breakemall

12. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

The new Ruger is excellent and can be bought for under $400

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Some funny stuff here. Thanks for the laughs! Jeff

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Question first: Are the others bringing their own firearms and know how to use them? The one guy I fear. Can't he borrow a firearm? I think if I had to get him one it would be a 20 guage single shot and place him where I'm not and tell him not to move under penalty of death or just maybe Uninvite him/her.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Get lot's of beer and booze, load blanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.