1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle Synthetic Stocks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LWLarson, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I have a 700 BDL with a wood stock.... Would like to go synthetic. Any suggestions either for/against, and what brand/type do you recommend.

The rifle is a 7mm Mag, not sure that makes a difference...

Thanks,
    LWL

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would prefer Laminated, but synthetics are very good. In the custom gun world, McMillin is highly regarded for their stocks.

H-S Precision is probably the best of the popular stuff in synthetic, and if I want a laminated I will go with Boyd. My Remmy XR-100 has a Boyd stock on it from the factory.

If you want spectacular wild looking, you can get it in either type. Good luck.

HM

3. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

H&S without a doubt. McMillian is good but I`d easily give the nod to H&S.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You might contact Remington. They have long action BDL & SPS Long Action Magnum stocks in black synthetic (18586), black synthetic with an R3 pad (202983), and camo (New Mossy Oak Breakup) synthetic with an R3 pad (202965T).

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Hands Down H-S,,,just returned from a trip to south dakota,,,met Don at H-S for some praire dog shooting,,,there guns ,stocks and pistols, are top notch,,,,and those boys can shoot pretty good too,,,,see above web site link

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

#1 HS Precision
    #2 Bell and Carlson: Medalist series
    #3 Stockade
    # Hogue: Over molded with the bedding block

Just some ideas.

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

#1 HS Precision
    #2 Bell and Carlson: Medalist series
    #3 Stockade
    # Hogue: Over molded with the bedding block

Just some ideas.

8. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Well guys... I do appreciate the information. Cabelas actually carries several, including some of those you all recommended...

I actually just shot this thing over the weekend... I have a friend with a poly/stainless version, and he commented on how little the recoil is... My wood/blue BDL however, has much more punch than his, so he says...

I am doubting going to poly is going to help me any, so I will have to look at the pads, etc too when I go shopping for one.

Do I need to have a gunsmith do the swap, or can any numbskull like me pull it off?

Thanx again for the input!
    LWL

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If it's pillar bedded, you just put it in and torque it down, and slide a dollar bill under the barrel to make sure the channel is not binding.

HM

10. Billster

Billster TS Member

I just sold my 700P .223 that came with the H-S. Excellent stock. Cloverleafs all day at 100 yards. Comfortable too. That's all I can contribute here. heh.

cheers
    Bill

11. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Sarge...

Actually... It wasn't me who thought the kick was different. It was a friend of mine... Now I'd like to shoot his to see for myself....

You may be right, in that I don't shoot enough to really appreciate the higher end stocks... that said I may not be a complete moron either. I've never switched a stock, so I have no idea how it comes apart, or back together for that matter...

Although I never claimed to be good with a rifle... the first three shots (100 yds) I took with it could be covered by a 50cent piece with two of them making a snowman... That may suck for many of you, but I was rather pleased with it...

Thanx all again for the words of wisdom...

LWL

12. B.C.

B.C. Member

look at Ebay , punch in rifle stock's they had plenty of Remington's listed the last time I looked. B.C.

13. B.C.

B.C. Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-700-BDL-L-A-RH-RAM-LINE-Synthetic-Stock_W0QQitemZ260158599322QQihZ016QQcategoryZ73951QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

14. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I prefer synthetic, you can hunt all day in the snow or rain and not lose your zero. Wood's pretty, but it can't compete in a working rifle. I like Bell & Carlson (maybe around $150 in your Cabelas catalog.) McMillan's better, but twice the price, and you won't notice its better quality in a 7-mag hunting rifle. A stock with a bedding block or pillars will be a drop-in, otherwise I'd advise paying a local gunsmith $100 to pillar bed it. There are no negatives to synthetic, except they can be noisier scraping against thick brush. I don't think there's a bit of recoil difference between wood & synthetic, unless you get an ultralight stock, it may kick a tiny bit more simply due to weighing less. Get a good pad (Rem R3's my favorite for a synthetic hunting rifle.) All my working rifles but one tackdriver have synthetic stocks. Wood's for pretty target rifles. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.