1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rifle stock refinishing?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have an old Rem 722 that I plan on using for deer hunting this fall, before the season I want to strip the finish off the stock as it is all scratched, cracked, and peeling. it should be an EASY job to strip, the question, what shall I finish it with making is somewhat RESISTANT TO THE RAIN that always falls on me while deer hunting in New Hampshire and MAine??
    It is a simple stock, no checkering etc. and in pretty good shape with no bad or deep scratches.
    suggestions??? Frank C
    [​IMG]

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've done a number of stocks and used both Spar Varnish and Polyurethane.
    Many light coats are better than one or two heavy coats. Spar Varnish is used on wooden boats so a proper application will work in wet weather, a good polyurethane works also. After proper drying I've used 0000 steel wool and paste wax as the final rub down. They come in gloss, satin and matte, your choice. And properly done, you can make the first couple of coats soak in the wood for a good sealer.
    Read and follow directions for proper application.
    I guess you could use one of the many oil finishes, but I've never gotten the results from oil that I've gotton from the others.

3. James.c

James.c Member

How do you strip finish off a gun

4. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I agree with jmbi, some kind of spray polyurethane in several (8-10) sprayed on light coats, but I would stain it to a darker color first.

To Strip You could use a chemical paint stripper, or you could just scrape it off and sand to about 320 finish. Then stain, let dry for a few days then apply finish coats .

I do mostly Oil finishes on my guns but it won't hold up to rain. Nothing will really, that's why they make plastic stocks. Poly and Spar varnish will to a certain extent, but any finish will give up to water eventually.

Also make sure to coat the barrel channel and inside of the stock in general as well as the outside. Water will get inside just as easy as on the outside.

Pick up a copy of Wooden Boat Magazine, you can come up to speed on Varnish type finishes from that source. Really nice wood boat finishes rival anything I've seen on any gun.

Randy

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

you could just spray paint and paint it camo- if you get the textured kind of spray paint that they use sometimes for metal- you dont even need to strip this

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

OK, I have done about 5 stocks on older guns like that and they all came out really nice. Go get some paint/varnish furniture stripper. I got mine at wal-mart and it worked fine. Follow the directions on the can. One the wood is stripped I lightly sanded. On two of the guns I actually stained with furniture polish to change the color. Next I applied about 10 coats of Tru-Oil. I did an two stevens shotguns, a ithaca pump and a two rifles. I can post pics if you want. I obviously wouldn't do it on a really nice gun, but the beat up field guns came out lookin better than new.

7. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

TrapCrazy: Surprisingly enough those fence post grade stocks on cheaper guns really shine up into things to be proud of. I've had good success with several low grade stocks on things like Garands, and Marlins.

I redo all of my Marlin stocks. These things are usually about as featureless as pine (without knots)but when you strip off all of the "Marshield" crap and sand, fill, and stain them up or down (lighter or darker), then hit them with 10-15 coats of tru-oil, they come out pretty spectacular.

Now I have to learn to checker.

Another way to go if you have mismatched colors like on a buttstock and foreend is to get some dye from a furniture finishing house like Wood Crafters, and you can actually tint the tru oil and match the colors. I'm doing this right now to a stock I have been messing with for over a year, and it is coming along real well.

www.woodcraft.com Good source for materials and tools.

They make these tints in every color of the rainbow. You can make your stock lime green or titty pink if you want to. And you could certainly do a Camo oil finish on a stock and still have the grain show thru, which would be a cool effect to say the least.

Don't discount those cheap stocks, they really can be made into things of beauty, and all it takes is a little creativity and a few bucks in materials, and some patience. The good thing about all of this is if you don't like the outcome you can just sand it off and start all over!

Or you can spray it with Krylon spray paint if you really don't give a shit.

Randy

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

stripper and steel wool, minimum sanding. Too much application of elbow grease and sandpaper will make the fit of wood to metal poor with the metal sticking out. Also, if there is checkering, use a toothbrush to get the finish out after applying the stripper.

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

I refinished a Marlin 39A .22 when I was a teen. How I wish I still had that gun. I sanded the old finish off and put many, many coats of boiled linseed oil on the stock. Came out pretty nice. The smell of boiled linseed oil still brings back memories of the squirrel hunting I did with that gun...

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

applying spar varnish gun stock finish

is spar varnish ok for finish on buttstock