1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle Stock - Major Crack

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

When I was out Whitetail Hunting this past week, I slipped and took a nasty fall!! Mind is bruised but the body is ok. OK mind is bruised because when I Flopped, the wooden stock cracked clear thru. From the top of the trigger guard across to the back of the safety.....the stock now is about 45 degrees out of alignment. In addition the barrels has a nasty scratch to the bare medal, and the Leupold Scope took a Whacken. So back to Ruger in Newport NH, or I could use some suggestions......

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ouch.

Was the gun anything special or a basic Ruger 77?

If it was me, at this point, I'd put it in a synthetic stock and touch up the scratch, and put the repair money towards a nicer gun, using this one for rough service.

Was the scope damaged?

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The best ruger will do is to replace the stock and blue the action- which will cost more than a new gun

So you decide

I would put on a synthetic stock and leave the metal as it is or have some local guy refinish it or have a company that does nothing but bluing or nickle plating- or whatever finish you desire refinish it

As far as the scope- you could send that back in to Leoupold if it doesnt work- if it is still ok- just keep it or sell it

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

The Gun is a Model 77 Hawkeye, .308, left handed bolt. Scope seems ok. Suggestion on Synthetic Stocks are welcome. How can I make sure the Barrel is not out of alignment, or is not of concern.

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Just shoot it and see if it still shoots straight. If it doesn't, re-site the gun. If you can't resite it, send the scope back to leupold. Once it is back, then try and re-site it. It would take one hell of a wack to bend a barrel. You can buy those synthetic stock on e-bay for CHEAP. Jeff

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

A good synthetic stock would be?? Are they easy for a lay person to volt up, or is a lot of fitting required??

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

A new stock is easy enough to put on. The real problem is gonna be finding a stock for a left hand action. I'm sure there are some out there, but it may take some lookin around.

Bob

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Around 100 bucks for a cheapo sythetic which for that gun would be good enough

Or glue the stock together with resin/epoxy and then paint it with camo paint- will never see the crack probably

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Being that it's a left hand stock throws a monkey wrench into the works. Even Boyds does not make a true left hand stock for these guns. They make a left hand stock for right hand actions. Did some checking and your best bet for a replacement stock is to contact Ruger and get a price quote.

The metal can either be touched up or refinished.

If the scope is broken, Leupold might be able to repair it. But damage like this falls outside of their warranty. What model of scope was it?

10. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

www.BellandCarlson.com

They make some very nice stocks are inexpensive prices -- page 21 in the catalog shows stocks for your Ruger.

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Thanks for the Input!!

12. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Stockman gave you a quote to fix the stock. If the barrel scratch isn't too bad you can do a little touch-up on it yourself or go ahead and get the matte finish reblue, your choice. That would probably be the way I'd go. Another option might be to get some one with a duplicator to rough cut a new stock for ou from your old one . Option 3, see if Wenig makes a inleted stock for your rifle that you could finish out.

Bob

13. ring3

ring3 Member

I took a similar fall about 15 years ago with my Ruger. Synthetic stock, barrell and bolt were scratched but ok. The Leupold scope however was ruined. It's bell was dented in and it would not zero. I boxed it up with a letter to leupold explaining what hapend and asking for a quote if it could be repaired. Two weeks later I had a brand new scope, same size but the newest version. I've bought many Leupolds since.

Lots of good suggestions here regarding your stock/blueing. If it were me I'd send it to stockman.

14. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I hate the cheap plastic stocks, and tolerate the hand laid glass/kevlar stocks. I use Brown Precision stocks, Light and strong and expensive (more than the rifle). I have installed a couple high tech specialties stocks from brownells. They are ok just alot of work. Boyds makes some nice laminated stocks reasonably priced, heavy but nice looking. Just from my exp.

Jeff

15. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Thanks for the information.........winter project lies ahead to get this new gun repaired. Have had to finish the Whitetail season with the old .300 Savage! Not a bad gun by any means.

16. drgondog

drgondog Member

My experience with Leupold is that they will fix anything - or replace - under their warranty - even if it is entirely my fault. I dropped a rifle about 30 feet and really dinged a 3x9 VariX II. Sent it to them and asked them to fix/send me the bill.

They replaced it - no bill. I don't buy anything but Leupold for last 30 years.

Call 'em and explain it. High probability they will fix or replace.

Regards,

Bill Marshall
    Scurry, TX.

PS. De grease the scratch area and try Cold Blue - buy another Stock on eBay and bed it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.