1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle Sight In With Two Shots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/library.php?video_id=279

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I do it with one. Pull the bolt, look down the bore, line the bore up with the bullseye, and then without moving the rifle, adjust the scope to the bullseye.

With automatics, you have to use a dentist's mirror and look backwards through the bore.

NOw, about that property in Florida.........

HM

3. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

Yep I've heard the same about them German, Austrian scopes .Never had a problem with the Leupold Mark 4 series scopes holding their zero. Here lately theres been some talk about March scopes time will tell .All my scopes have been 1/4" at 100 yards increasements .I drop back to 25 yards put x mark shoot target then do the math then make my adjustments . Then i shoot another at 100 to see where i'm at. zeros can change. temp,wind,humidity,elevation And take inconsideration you are at 25 yards instead of 100 while figuring your clicks

4. Chicken Legs

Chicken Legs TS Member

I'm certainly not trying to start anything, but if you try to "zero" your rifle by following Mr. Gresham's system - you will be twice as far off with your second shot as you were with the first. He has the general idea correct, just going at it wrong. After the first shot, place the cross hairs on the bullet hole and adjust the scope back to the center of the target. When you fire your second shot, it will be in the center of the target.

Royce Cofer

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Have to agree with Chicken Legs. Shoot, anchor gun, put cross-hairs in hole and adjust to center of target. But, I always shot again, and maybe again, and maybe again. It will get you close. I think? Zumbo had an article about this also.

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Don't know about you guys but have been doing that way for years. consider. You want the sights to be aimed at where the gun shoots. That said, after bore sighting, shoot at the bulls eye, then lock the rifle down aimed at the bulls eye. now this is where you aimed awhile ago but it shot high and to the left, follow so far? Well, we want to be aiming where the gun is shooting, so, starting with where we aimed the first time, adjust the cross hairs to where the bullet hole is. This will make the sights point where the gun is shooting. try it some time. This is not everything to be considered in sightng in a rifle, but is far more accuraate than a lot of deer hunters ever get their rifles.

Bob

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bob has it right. HMB

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I just normally use my Laserlyte at 50 yds to set it and then can shoot at 100yds and have never been more than 4 inches off. Normally the second shot will be on. I usually have the fun of mounting and setting scopes at the store where I work and you wouldn't believe how many people will go hunt with a bore sighted rifle. I've had numerous people to tell me they didn't have time to shoot it before climbing and managed to kill a deer. I don't mind telling them how stupid that is but their response is usually, I got my deer didn't I. Rifle shots around here are rarely over 100 yards so they get away with it. For myself I like to shoot 1,2,3 hundred yards as I like to hunt power lines. Jackie B.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Shepherd "one shot zero" scopes.

They have another knob, and another part of the reticle that you adjust the scope with after you make that first shot. This zeros the rifle.

Maybe they have fallen out of favor.

HM

10. randy-s

randy-s Member

I have been using this method for years. Go towards the hole....lol. Have to agree with Bob. The guy making the video hopefully did his homework.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Whether you move the cross hair to the bullet hole via the adjustments OR move the cross hair to the hole via moving the gun to the spot is the same thing + (cross hair) wise. Either way, the gun has to be secured in a vise, to get the cross hair back to the aim point or to the bullet hole. I agree with Bob also.

Hap

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

While Tom Gresham has a point...I've used this method to get close...it is not a method to "Zero" a rifle. I've read other stuff of his and he goes at it with a condescending attitude while describing simplistic stuff. As previous posters have stated, you gotta sight it in.

No rifle can put every shot into the same hole and that is just what Gresham is saying. Shoot one, adjust the scope, shoot one to verify. If that were the case, there wouldn't be "groups".

I'm working on methods right now whereby you can count on where that first shot will go, days, weeks, or months after a "sight in", especially with a black powder gun which has to be cleaned.

Good luck but put your shooting faith in someone who really knows his stuff, like Jim Carmichel who, sadly for us, retired a month ago.

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

)

On the bottom of the video it says "so easy, even a trapshooter could do it."

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

RickN....saw that comment but already knew from whence Tom came. Kind of like Reilly in Sports Illustrated giving comments on hunting.

15. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

There are as many good ways to sight in a rife as Carter has little liver pills - the main thing is to "do it". I have been around rifle shooting for a very long time and shot both DCM and NRA Highpower and Smallbore as well........genarally when these type discussions break out - you can smell the smoke from the camp fire and a lot of time there is a lot of BS in that smoke - generally just ignore it and move on because it is not that people do not believe what they know, it is that what they know is wrong. A basic problem is that almost no casual shooter understands much about what rifle accuracy is (or precision for that matter) and what effects it or how it effects it. Many amoung that group may believe a rifle shoots into the same hole every time - well not so - this is where the bell shaped curve comes to play. If a person thinks his favorite rifle will shoot a 5 shot 1/2 inch group - will it? Or has it simple been know known to do it one time - once upon a time? Or will it shoot a 5 shot 1/2 inch group 95% of the time? Few people shoot enough to know. The best way to break that up is when your shooting buddy says his rifle will shoot a XXX size group and it sounds a little funny - pull $100 bill out and lay it on the table and say "ok- do it" - they generally will back out for some reason......for a gun to shoot a small group on demand it menas that the mean of the distribution in group sizes have to be very very very small ----anyway-- my ramble is getting way off topic - The trick is know the grouping ability of your rifle - and center the average group around the desired point of impact. And do not stretch shooting distances beyound the grouping ability of the rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.