1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trpshtr2001, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Does anyone have a Lead Sled or ever use one? I am thinking about buying one for my grandson to use. Any opinions on it would be appreciated.

2. s100whunt

s100whunt TS Member

I have had one for 2 years now best money I have spent I have to sight in a lot of hard kickin mags it works great

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I made a gun cradle from flat iron about 35 yrs ago which most of the sleds out now seem to be related to. I used it just for bench/target shooting, but gave it up as to cumbersome and involved with adjusting all the time.
    Its good if you are sighting in or target punching, but I still prefer bipods and bags.

4. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Thanks fellows, you were helpful. I want it mainly for my grandsons as he is small in stature. I want him to get the feel of how it feels to shoot one holers and how to sight a rifle in. I think i'll buy one.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why not start him with a low recoil centerfire, like the .223 Rem? Then take him varmint hunting, and work up to a heavier target or deer cartridge?

6. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

have a similar rest and without the bags of shot a remington 300 ultra mag barely moves it. They really stop recoil but for a smaller shooter they may be a bit high off the bench. you will probably need a higher seat. Have fun

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The lead sled might be a good thing for eliminating the 'preignition push' from the group size equation but it does nothing for shooting skill. Knowing your true field shooting ability is much more imprortant than punching closely spaced holes in paper. I have alway wondered why a person would have an ultra shmagnum that they cannot tolerate shooting. Yes the gun has the power to reach out there but what does that matter if the shooter has no skill.

Brian has the best idea, get a manageable centerfire and practice real world shooting. Varmint hunting with a .223 is great for this.

8. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I am starting with a 10/22. I am not very smart but I know not to start him out with a big caliber. Thanks guys

9. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I use the rest with the ultra mag for sighting in only. I can tolerate the recoil for hunting purposes but id rather not develop a flinch at the range.I agree a smaller rifle would be best for a new shooter and punching lil groups in paper is a more practical hobby in some places where varmints aren't as numerous or when land is not availible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.