1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rifle scopes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp Shooter18, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp Shooter18

Sharp Shooter18 TS Member

What is a good rifle scope to put on a 30-30 lever action and a .222 bolt action?

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

One that costs about as much as the gun.

All kidding aside, a 1.5-4X for the 30-30 (I have a 1 3/4-5 1/2 on my Marlin--has the Marlin name on it, don't know who actually made it) works just fine. I'm working up loads with the new leverevolution bullet and it looks like it might just be a reliable 200 yard gun.

I have a 3-9X Leupold on my .222 (which is a combo gun, Savage 24DL). Had a Remington 700BDL years ago with a 6-18X and it was fun, too.

What ranges are you aiming for? We shoot 22s at up to 150 and most of the guys are using from 12 up to 24X but this is off the bench.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Stay with the Leupold. The size stated above is a good size for a 30-30. Look on the gold ring of the scope and make sure its a VX-III. That is the best grade Leupold makes. Its worth the money. I only buy Leupold.

4. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

My first experience with a Leupold went like this;
    Bought a new 270 ADL and had the money to buy a Leupold VX 2 3X9X40 along with Leupold mounts. I adjusted the mounts to where the scope was dead center on windage as set from the factory and bolted everything together and bore sighted the elevation. First shot at 100 yards was 4 inches low and 1 inch to the right. I made 1 and only 1 adjustment the required ammount to 'get' 1" high and center on windage. Next shot was exactly 1" high and dead center, factory ammo. I went ahead with 4 more shots and the zero remained the same with about a 1" group. That was roughly 10 years ago. Last year when I was leaving a ground blind the gun fell over and landed 'scope down'. It was the last day of gun season. I took the gun to the local range this year about a week before gun season to see if If 'the gun falling over' (by clumsy hunter) had moved my zero. I fired 1 shot, 100 yards and the hole was about 3/4" high and about 1/2" to the left.

Everything I've heard about Leupold is good. My only experience with one is good. A co-worker lost one of his adjustment caps last year, he called the company and they sent him one at no charge.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Leupold also bought the brand rights to Redfield and will be marketing them as a econimical sister line

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A 30-30 needs a scope mounted ahead of the bolt because of the ejection. It needs to be IER (intermediate Eye relief)

This is more than regular scopes and less than pistol scopes. Years ago they used to side mount them and it was a Rube Goldberg nightmare.

Triple Deuce should be a variable going to 12X at least.

The rest is up to your wallet.

HM

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Which 30-30?

Marlin is solid top

Savage Bolt is solid top

there are many others - depending on which one- depends on which scope and how it should be mounted

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For a 30-30, the ideal scope under $300 is the Leupold 1-4x. It only has a 20mm objective, but don't let that fool you into believing it cannot gather light. In fact, it is one of the brightest scopes Leupold makes. It is a very fast to use scope for woods use at .30-30 ranges.

I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. The best scope I had on it was a Leupold M8 fixed 3x, which also had a 20mm objective. It was bright and fast handling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.