1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle scope ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Which scope to buy? Leupold (Rifleman) 3-9 40mm $200.00 or a Redfield (Revolution) 3-9 40mm $150.00. I know both are good brands, is the Leupold worth the additional $50.00? If you know about scopes please advise.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

In the lower end scopes, and yes, 200 bucks is lower end but not econo, pick the Leupold. You can get some versions of the lower end Nikon in that price range also.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

If you are considering the Leupold at 200.00.....consider just 30.00 more for the VX-I model. Let me know if I can sell you one or help out. I am showing the Redfield for 139.00 plus shipping.

Years ago I thought I would never be able to afford a Leupold in any model, for the last 12-14 years that is all I have bought and have not looked back. They do have a variety and price range now like never in the past.

Bryan

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The fact that Leupold makes Redfield I'd say both would be a good buy for the low end models.

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Nikon best by far!

6. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Leupold.....

7. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

Leupold on all my rifles. Best out there.
    I damaged one years ago, sent it to the factory, fixed it for nothing. A real pleasure to deal with

8. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Leupold has great customer service, as does Zeiss but thats a lot more money, consider a used scope, you can get a higher end scope used. Its tough to beat up a scope i think. Its like buying a used car, its still good you get a discount

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For only a little more money, look at the VX-1 3-9x Leupold. Typically it runs about $30 more, depending on how carefully you shop.

Example at Optics Planet

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I bought a new Leupold VX-3 3-1/2x10 in 1970 and it's on my 300 Win mag Sako now. Used it for years on an 06 till I sold the rifle. They are hard to beat for the money and service the company offers! That one is my oldest Leupold, I have a few more on various other rifles.

Hap

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I own several Leupold scopes and prefer the ones with an Adjustable Objective.

That said, The advice to spend and extra $30 and get a VX-I is good advice.

My understanding is that the current VX-I incorporates the lens and adjustment technology of the older Vari X II line of scopes.

My favorite hunting scope is an older 3 x 9 Vari X II Adjustable Objective with a 40 mm objective lens. It is super bright and really pulls in the light. I used it mostly at 3 X where it had a really wide field of view. With the adjustable objective, I set the scope to be parallax free at 75 yards. The result was an awesome field of view that was super clear and super bright.

This scope was alternatively mounted on a Marlin 336 .35 Remington and a 30-06 Remington 700 BDL. I took many deer with the traditional standing still broadside presentation but also nailed a nice 10 pointer on a dead run and a dandy 8 pointed in near dark conditions.

Leupold scopes hold their point of impact as you change the magnification. Less expensive scopes IMO do not.

Once you have used a Leupold, you will not IMO want any other scope.

It only take about 10 seconds to have a great hunt.

Ed Ward

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Nikon I will have to say has been a good scopeso far. I will have to say that Leupold is a great scope. Do not buy the Rifleman scope. That is a low grade scope that Leupold makes and it will not be what you want. Stay with the V-III grade scope. That has the best lens coating and it will be clearer and has great light gathering then other scopes. I have nothing but V-III scopes.

13. mag410

mag410 Active Member

From Leupold FAQ

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/

"Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation."

"The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing ¼-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride"

In my opinion the best value in the Leupold line is the newer VX-II, it has the same lens system and click adjustments as the Vari-X III, at a much better price.

Michael

14. leadvail

leadvail Member

20 rifles- 20 Leupolds. 22s to 375H&H. I hunt (shoot) elk, deer, antelope every year a few miles near home. Alaska once. Nice never having to worry about your equipment. Nothing against Jap crap, I own a Nissan 4x4 for hunting.

15. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Everything I have has a Leupold on it...and have never looked back about the price...remember, you get what you pay for!

16. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I prefer Leupold. I have 3 Remington 700 Varmit Rifles (one .222 Remington, one 22.250 and one .243) and each one has the Leupold Vari-X III, 6.5 x 20 with EFR.

I have been very pleased with the Leupold's!

Allen

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Vari-X I's have better lens coatings than the Rifleman. That's worth the extra $30 right there. The Rifleman transmits 82% of the light. The Vari-X I transmits 86%. Not a huge difference, but you will see it in dark shadows and at dusk and dawn. The adjustments for the Vari-X I is finer, being 1/4 MOA, while the Rifleman is 1/2 MOA.

18. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

If your a hunter buy the best model you can afford in a Leupold, even a used one has the same warrentry from Leupold. thanks Ronnie

19. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Some of the best advice I received when I first started shooting was to spend as much or more on the scope as I did on the rifle.

I cannot recall the number of times where I've seen rifles pushing a thousand dollars or more that would not shoot. A quick check typically showed twenty dollar mounts and two hundred dollar scopes. Remember, a system is only as good as it's weakest link.

I have been impressed with Leupold & Nikon, but they are catch-as-catch-can.

Zeiss, Leica, etc. are great, but pricey.

Shepherd makes a unique scope which I truly like - worth a look, especially if you plan on doing a lot of traveling (by plane or foot) - one shot zero is part of the deal.
    http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

I have recently tried a Trijicon scope (2.5~10X56) and am greatly impressed. Illuminated but uses no battery, the 56mm has great low light clarity - nearing the Zeiss, but at a fraction of the cost.
    http://www.trijicon.com/specialties/hunting.cfm

Good luck - don't be afraid to spend some money - you will not regret it.

David D

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I agree with David D., nothing brings out the best a rifle has to offer unless it has GREAT sights! Here's a couple of my .22 cal. rifles wearing tubes that cost more than the rifles!
    [​IMG]

Both rifles are tack drivers.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.