1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle scope/site in question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used the wrapper from a piece of chewing gum. You can fold it as much as needed. Mike

2. Nebraskashooter

Nebraskashooter Member

If you are out of adjustment on the scope you are either trying to sight in for some REALLY long range shooting or you have another problem that you need to find first.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I believe your question is basically where to put a shim. Put it on the bottom of the rear scope ring under the scope.

Robert

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I would put the shim under the rear mount.............Roger

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Burris makes special rings with an inert that allows scopes to be offset to correct for such things. They're called Posi-Align rings. These will solve your problem and allow you to get the scope optics back to a more centered position on your gun. By that, I mean the scope will have about the same amount of travel available up and down. This is the optimum alignment of the internals.

6. Brian in Oregon

Here's a better page on their site that shows the Posi-Align offset inert kits.

7. bocephus

bocephus Member

You say you are out of upward adjustment and still shooting low. You should be adjusting downward to where you are shooting.

8. truthseeker

truthseeker Member

Like Bocephus said. If you are sighting in a riflr with a scope and it shoots low, you move the crosshairs DOWN to where the bullet is hitting the paper.

9. Brian in Oregon

Does anyone make an elevation turret anymore that does not show "UP" and "DOWN"?

10. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

You have your scope mounts on backwards. Try putting the one in front in the rear. If that dont work and your not trying to shoot long distances then somethings wrong with that gun or your scope.

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

What kind of rifle and mounts? A ruger 1022 by chance?

12. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Sold scopes as a factory rep for alot of years. You CAN DEFINITELY have mounts that are supposed to be correct that will not give you the correct alignment even at a 100 yard range. As one of the other posters said, shim the botton ring in the back. Tube Up is down, left is right. It does not take very much to make a big difference. I used electrical tape. Ususlly one or two thicknesses will do the trick. The POSI rings are SUPER! Try what you have first, save your extra bucks for $4.00 worth of gas to get to the range. Be careful not to go too thick though because you can crimp/bend the scope tube.
    Shotgun shooters do not usually understand the minute workings of optics. Almost everyone would be really surprised what lapping scope rings will do for long range accuracy just because the scope tube is not in stressed out of alignment. 100 yards on a deer's vitals, no big deal - 600 yards on a prairie dog, really big deal!

13. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

FYI- I shimmed the rear mount and all is well.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I will never use another ring as long as Burris makes the Posi-Align.

I put my first set on a 22-250 and love them. You can also get inserts for + or - heights and get zeroed for thousand yard shooting without buyin a lot of special stuff.

Aaaaaand.......no marks on the scope.

HM

15. Brian in Oregon

The Posi-Align rings are the cat's meow for anyone doing long range shooting, whether target or varminting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.