1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle GUYS, I Need HELP!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plumbguncrazy, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

Whats the best, accurate, affordable caliber for a deer rifle? I don't like my 300wsm, shells are too expensive, and it doesn't hold groups as well as it should. .308, or 30-06, what do you think? I want to be able to go to the rifle range and shoot a box without having to work overtime to pay for it. Thanks

2. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

.30-06 can be had from surplus stuff.

I'm a .243 fan, just depends how long your shots usually are.

3. dward

dward Member

If you know a gunsmith and you don't like your gun as is - you could put a 308 or 30-06 barrel on the existing action with scope. For deer I would choose the 308, but it's really a horse apiece.

4. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

which is more accurate down range?

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a 7MM Mag and a 270 and I prefer the 270 because I think the 7MM is overkill for deer and it weighs more than my 270 and the ammo is more expensive.

6. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

The 30.06 has killed a lot of game over the years and has excellent down range performance. Plus you have the option of several bullet weights in factory ammo so that the same gun can be used for either deer or elk.

7. DB3006

DB3006 Member

They are all great calibers! I have 30.06,.270 and 7mm they all shoot great but the 7mm shoots best and recoil is bad. Make sure you are using a good bench rest and squeeze the trigger.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I would opt for the 30-06. You have a number of choices of bullet weights to suit your needs. It is a very popular cartridge and can be purchased almost anywhere at a decent price. Also, the 30-06 is effective on almost all the game you want to shoot in this country. Ed

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

On top of other concerns, the .308 can have the shorter bolt throw. My brother's .308 custom took 4 of the 5 elk on a hunt with a guide and 4 guests on one occasion. I don't know the details of why that was true but it did; including the guide's animal; all 1 shot kills. I wouldn't hesitate to check into the 7-08 as Texshooter suggests either....Bob Dodd

10. nicky

nicky Member

I have a 223, 22-250, 243, 308, 270, 7mm-08, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, all in remington 700's, the one I like best is the 270. The scope is a 4 x 12 B&L 4000 with S&K mounts. It shoots a 3/4" 5 shot group at 100 yds. with most any ammo. Just last night I purchased 4 boxes of Federal 130gr soft point for $12.99 per. box. I also reload and the 270 has many loads to chose from. , Kevin

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

.30-06'

It is enough cartridge for any game animal on the North American continent, and most other continients for that matter.

It can be loaded down for lighter game (and lighter recoil) if need be.

It gets a bad reputation from the so-called experts as doing everything fair, but doing nothing particularlty well. But it is a great all-around cartridge. The reputation, in my mind, is unfounded.

And, it's likely the most readily available cartridge in North America. And, becuase its readily available, the cost of ammunitition is moderate.

Find a Brand/load or a relaod that is accurate and repeatable in your rifle, and be on your way.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have many. My favorite is the 257 Roberts. But if you want universally available ammo that can be bought in all kinds of stores everywhere, you need a 243 or 308. The 308 family are all good deer rounds, .243, .260, 7mm-08,308. My Friend Johnnie had what he called the ultimate deer rifle. A Steyr Pro-Hunter in .243.

30-06 is yesterday's rifle. It does many things adequately but none of the superbly. The long action is a little bit of a negative.

Choosing a deer rifle depends on your hunting situation. Most deer hunters I encounter are overgunned, with 270's, 7 Mags, 30-06, etc. In Northern Wisconsin and Upper michigan, most deer are killed at less than 90 yards.

If my hunting situation incluced posting over fields, I would have a 270. Otherwise a 308 with 150 grain bullets, no heavier. Stay away from the heavy bullets, the thick jacket slows down expansion.

You can fun shoot a 308 or 30-06 with surplus ammo cheaply, but you will ultimately want to reload to get the performance out of your gun. If you only make a few trips to the range yearly, Federal Premium or Winchester supreme will get you there.

Make your plan, then fit the rifle to it.

HM

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are using the rifle for deer sized game and smaller the .25-06 is a great choice - minimal recoil and long range potential. I can't tell the difference in recoil between the .300 WSM and a similar wt gun in .30-06 so there really isn't much incentive to go that route other than lower cost factoy loaded ammo.

I bought a Browning A-bolt in .300 WSM last year and it has rapidly become my all time favorite hunting rifle. Extremely accurate and the cost of ammo is identicle to a .30-06 if you hand load. In the two seasons that I have owned this gun, I have used it to take two mule deer bucks, an antelope buck, a bull elk and a desert bighorn ram. All one shot kills with complete penetration. I'm kind of supprised you don't like your .300 but that is why there are many other options.

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I love my 25-06. Little recoil and wonderfull trajectory.

15. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

308 Win. It will do anything you ask for deer and larger game as well. Another plus is the short action. It's a little quicker, a little lighter, and more accurate.......Roger

16. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

all great info , 25-06, interesting, i've been considering that to, I've noticed alot of varmit rifles, law enforcement, in the 308 caliber, why? what ammo has worked best in the 300wsm for you? what advantage does a heavy barrel have, just weight?

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In the .300 WSM the 180 gr Nosler Accubond at 3,000 fps is the load. Expands reliably at all ranges but doesn't blow up (haven't actually recovered one, just evaluating the wound channels) . Winchester has a factory offering with that bullet. Lighter weight bullets don't go much faster and there isn't enough allowable cartridge length for heavier bullets.

The .308 Win case design is efficient and the accuracy crowd has done amazing things with it. It also fires a fair size projectile at high enough velocities to be deadly at extended range. Great balance of power, accuracy with moderate recoil. Could be a great choice for you as well.

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I vote for the 30-06, God's caliber.

The 30-06 is the standard by which all other modern big game calibers are measured. Ammo is available just about anywhere they sell ammo and it is very likely to be on sale at the beginning of the season.

I use a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 and 180 grain PSP Core Lokt bullets. The scope is a Leupold 3x9 AO in a Leupold 1 piece base and medium rings. It is adequate for anything short of a great bear. In a pinch, it could probably handle a great bear.

The 30-06 is a hammer. Properly hit, they don’t run away.

The .308 is also a good caliber but ammo and rifles are not as widely available. The .308 is a great accuracy caliber but the 30-06 is not too shabby in the accuracy department.

Per RCBS, they sell more 30-06 dies than any other caliber.

If you are into accuracy shooting, the 30-06 and .308 calibers have available premium brass from various manufacturers. There is a wonderful array of premium .308 caliber bullets.

IMO, the best variant of the original 30-06 platform is the .280 Remington.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree, if you don't choose the .30-06', the .308 would be my second choice, and like others have said, it has a short action to boot.

20. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

WHAT 300 SHORT MAG ARE YOU USING? I HAVE A WINCHESTER SUPER SHADOW & USE 150 GR. NOSLER SILVER TIP BALLISTIC. IT MAKES A LARGER RAGGED HOLE AT 100 YARDS. I HAVE KILLED WHITE TAILS AT 400 YARDS , 1 SHOT KILLS. I LOVE THE GUN & HAVE HAD JUST ABOUT EVERY CALIBER. I ALSO LIKE MY 6mm-284, JUST A LITTLE TOUGHER TO GET LOADED AMMO! LOL
    TRY DIFFERNT RELOADS ON THE 300WSM, DON'T GIVE UP ON IT
    THANKS
    JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.