1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle- Firing the wrong caliber shell- Opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LWLarson, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Rifle guys,

I have an acquaintance who while sighting in fire the wrong caliber shell.

He put a .280 Rem shell/bullet through a 7MM Rem Mag. There was some blowback out of the bolt, and the shell was split... My question is this... Could there be damage to the chamber or throat? The gun appears to be completely intact. It will be inspected by a gunsmith before firing again, but I would appreciate opinions before that....

Ironically, the shot was near centered on the paper....

Thanks in advance,
    LWL

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I don't see how there would be damage to the chamber or throat. They are designed to operate at similar pressures. The 280 case very simply is not able to seal gas pressure in the larger 7mm RM chamber, so blowback is to be expected. The key question is, how much blowback.

What I have witnessed is magazine and stock damage when a 270 Winchester cartridge was fired in a 7mm RM chamber. Even though the pressure would have been lower with the smaller bullet, the unconstrained blowback was massive, causing magazine damage and a cracked stock in the thin magazine area.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont see how any damage could result- and I dont know how a normal every day gunsmith would know either - unless the damage was something broken

the cartidge wont seal - pressure will be lower- bullet diameter is the same

Gene

4. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Guys,

Once again... Thank you for the opinions... As for blowback... The guys ended up with spray in his face... Caught him on the nose, and cheeks... The cut on the nose was noticeable....

The stock, magazine, etc are all completely in-tact... The gun will be inspected by a gunsmith, but fortunately nobody was hurt, and the gun appears intact... Moral of the story, be very careful when shooting the same brand/style ammo, not to grab shells from the wrong box....

I knew I'd get some opinions and answers quick in here....

LWL

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

And, 55,000 PSI is not to be underestimated. Always wear appropriate eye protection when shooting anything.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

It also makes one wonder about some of the "use" a used gun may have been subjected too>

Don

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I'm sure he wasn't the only fool to make such a mistake. I once had a fella bring a .270 in that he couldn't get the bolt open after firing a shot. With a bit of effort, we got it open to find an almost straight wall case with a .308 headstamp. Seems he put a .308 in by mistake and fired it. .031 oversized bore dia. and it made it out the muzzle. Cracked both the recoil lugs on the bolt and put a heck of a scar in the chamber. He actually had us send it back thinking the manufacturer would replace it under warranty. No such luck! I ended up giving him something on trade. The stock & scope mounts were usable.

8. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Update.... The rifle was inspected by a gunsmith. Visual inspection, then a device was inserted to determine if there were problems beyond what the eye can see. Not sure what this was... Afterward the rifle was taken to the range and re-sighted in... Didn't actually require scope adjustments...

Very luckily, after no injuries to the shooter, the gun ended up being fine as well... I have serious money that says this won't happen to this shooter again...

LWL

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Many years ago a somewhat addled older gentleman brought in a newly purchased rifle to a local sporting goods store. He said he was "having trouble putting bullets in it". There was indeed a cartridge stuck in the breech, and the bolt would not close. As it turned out, he bought a 308 Win, and was trying to put a 30-06 in it. When he couldn't close the bolt, he removed the bolt, and then put a piece of pipe in the action, then beat the pipe with a hammer to get the 30-06 case to seat in the 308 chamber. It was now stuck fast. Imagine what would have happened if he had used solid steel round stock!<br>
    <br>
    Then there are the guys who come in and ask for "deer bullets"....

10. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

We had a guy at work who asked to shoot another guy's HK P2000SK in 40 S&W. Well the fellow made the mistake of loading 9mm ammo. THe HK fired and the slide was stuck in battery.

I got it unstuck and the 9mm brass was split to the rim. The owner of the HK had a gunsmith examine it. Could find nothing wrong and the gun shoots fine.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Over 50 years of shooting s$!t does happen. Once I fired a 270 win through a 338 win. some blow back, split the case, very poor accuracy, no harm to the gun.
    Another time someone gave me a box of 06 ammo found in a house they just bought, nice looking stuff so I tried to shoot it through the only 06 I owned (M1 Garand) Shell would chamber all but the last 1/8", tried a few others in the box and finally found one that with a little tap on the op-rod chambered fully. Pulled the trigger and it went bang and ejected. Couldn't find another to fit so quit shooting. When I got home notice the box said Win. 30-06, but head stamps said 8mm Mauser. Again no harm to the rifle, just my pride about being a little dumb.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The problems usually come about because of improper headspace.

You can shoot .243 bullets all day long through a .308, and you wind up with a bunch of .308 brass with long necks.

If the shoulder of the cartridge is not firmly in the end of the chamber you get the catastrophic results.

cases blown apart, Brass blown into the bolt head, all kinds of stuff.

Saw it with a .222 mistakenly fired in a .223 gun. Also in a .270 where the rounds were sized improperly.

HM

13. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

When I was a kid one of the first guns I bought was an 1873 Springfield trap door rifle. The owner sold it to me as he wanted something for the occasional racoon or opposum that got into his garbage. He said he literally could not hit the side of a barn with it. And that it split the ctg cases lengthwise.

It was a .50-70 he was shooting .45-70 ammo through it. NO wonder it shot so poorly! I paid $25 IIRC and after finally getting set up through Dixie Gun works with some .50-70 cases and a 515 gr bullet mould it shot amazingly well.

Also know a guy who loaded 7mm-08 ctg's with .280 Rem load data!!! Thankfully he couldn't get enough 4831 in the case to do too much damage other than a VERY sticky bolt.

FN in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.