1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle building question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I know this is a shotgun thread BUT there are a bunch of rifle shooters here and ton of long time experience. Will a 98 Mauser (good quality and German manufacture during the WWII years) handle 7mm Mag pressures and over all length??

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Yes.......Roger

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Look for a VZ-24 The 98/09's were a little soft.. Many of the war issue 98's were less than ideal.. Yes they work.. but by the time you convert them.. you could have bought a junk Remington 700 and started with a much better receiver. I liked building 7mm's on a P-14/P-17 receiver.. They easily handled the length.. and one by Remington or Winchester made slick shooting rifles. Never cut the recoil lug to get length.. Always take it out the back.. If you are dead set on a Mauser.. I might have a MK-X receiver assembly.. I do have a complete MK-X in 375 H&H if you want to go big..and a pile of stocks in M-98 and P-17 styles from an earlier time..

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Mike, I might be interested in that 375 action. E-mail me the details and price. Jeff

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Remarkable custom rifle maker, Duane Wiebe, built many a beauty on the Mauser actions - maybe still....Bob Dodd

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Try to find a Mauser built during peacetime. A good indicator is set screws in the trigger guard.

I also insist on the 1898 Mauser design for my big game rifles, but prefer it in the Ruger Stainless M77 MKII re incarnation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.