1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rifle backstop ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'm going to build a portable rifle backstop, that I can drag with my truck from 100-400yds plus. Was wondering how many "inches of sand" I'd need to stop bullets? Won't be shooting anything bigger than a 25-06. Thanks

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Might be easier to move where you shoot from than to move the backstop. Just Say'n.............................

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i saw a really nice backstop at camp perry. It used chopped up rubber tires just placed in a large metal box with a heavy rubber flap over the front. They said it would stop any caliber depending on the size of the box. It looked about 2 feet cubed. motordoc

4. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I'd want the backstop to be a natural hill and and several miles of space without people or structures beyond that. What you seem to be describing is a bullet trap. If building a bullet trap for a 2506, I would get a large piece of thick sheet steel from the junkyard and place on a steep angle inside a box with a tray at the bottom for debris. I'd put it on wheels to roll it out 400 yards. I'd still want a secure backstop behind it for the inevitable misses.
    Here's a link that shows range design and bullet trap design. http://hss.energy.gov/SecPolicy/pfs/Range_Design_Criteria.pdf

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

..............Even Easier^^^^Click Here^^^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

build rifle backstop