1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding Lawn Mowers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I am inquiring for a friend that is considering purchasing a new riding mower.He is 80 yrs. old and very active every day.Any recommendations as to a brand that is reliable? He tells me that he is looking for a 42" cutting path as well as a 19 hp--at least. Also is there a model that makes it easy or easier to change the blades? Or is the blade issue a "chore" with all of them? Many thanks--Dennis Mastrolia.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cub Cadet or John Deere.

3. burtona

burtona Member

I don't know about the John Deere or any other of the larger 3 blade machines but the Cadet mower deck I have needs a new center spindle asembly every year and the other two spindles last 2 years. I've had a couple of the Ariens single blade riding mowers and the spindles lasted for the life of the machine.
    Dave

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have a John Deere 42" (twin blade) that is a 16 HP Kolar with the auto transmission. Over 800 hours on it and I have changed rear tires one time, change the oil every year and buy air and fuel filters every year.

I did buy and extra set of blades (about $40.00) from the dealer and change the blades twice a year, sharp for dull and that takes me about 10 minutes.

If you buy a John Deere get it from a John Deere dealer not from Home Depot or Lowes.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I've had most name brands and you can pay for the name or you can get just a tractor mower. AYP ie. Craftman, Huskqvarna will do you a good job for a lot less money. In years past it was worthwhile to purchase John Deere's but they have cheaped them down. I have sold Lawnmower parts for the last ten years and I see the name brands just as much as small brands. The biggest thing is people running into things with the blades which usually breaks the bearing housing. Jackie B.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Perhaps they have cheapened the Cub Cadets. I have an older model that is built like a tank. Never replaced anything other than common wear parts. I guess like a lot of things quality went out the window.

If the fella is interested in zero turn mowers my in-laws have had great luck with their X-Mark

7. porky

porky TS Member

Don't get any of the John Deere's without an "X in the model number. THe hydrostatic transmission on those riders without the "X" goes bad after about 400 hours. Mine crapped out after 300. To get it up a slight incline, I had to walk along side of it and use board cut to hold the accelerator pedal down. Finally, the transaxle wouldn't go anymore. $750.00 later and after I installed the new transaxle, I was in business, but it has never been the same. Next time, I will get mower model with gears like 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th gears. No more hydrostatic transaxles for me, especially John Deere.

Aren't Cub Cadets made by MTD also.

8. maka

maka Member

Over the past 40 years I have owned 1-Murry, (MTD). 1-LawnBoy, (MTD). 2-Husquvarna's (1-Kolar eng-noisey and 1-Kawasakii-quiet). I now have a Simplicity with Briggs Van-Gaurd. All where 42" cut most where 12 - 14 HP. except the Simplicity which is 20 HP. All of them require the removable of the deck to change blades. Most can be rather difficult depending, on age and flexibility. Good Luck.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Get a 1026R John Deere, a little pricey but it will last a few lifetimes

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

As regarding the changing of blades Central Tractor, and I am sure others, sell a jack type of thing that you pot under either the front or rear wheels and it just pivots the machine up where you can just sit there and work on em. Cost about a hundred bucks.

ctreay

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

My 1st. rider was a John Deere 112 12 hp. 48 inch deck bought in 1973 the only thing I ever replaced was belts and deck spindles after about 12 years of use. In 1987 I bought a JD 332 with a 3 cylinder Jap diesel and 50 inch deck, 25 years and 650 hours use, only repairs were belts, wheels on deck and 4 new tires. Can't go wrong with the right JD or cub cadet.

12. hopper810

hopper810 Member

I've been using a Kabota zero turn(diesel) for over 10 years with around 1900 hours on it. Best mower I've ever used.

Most of the zero turns come with a built in jack on the front that raises it up sure makes changing blades easy.

13. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Simplicity, we have had two in thirty years newest is eight years old. They just run and run. Both hydros and never had a problem.

14. 682b

682b Member

What is your friends price range? Riding mowers are like trap guns. How many seasons will he expect to use it? Some of the above mentioned mowers are very nice expensive mowers like some shotguns and like others you can buy a utilitarian mower for half to one third . Have him look at the Ariens at Home Depot 17.5hp standard transmission nothing fancy. 995.00 All deck type mower are a pain to change blades.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

A local Massey dealer sells a front-deck zero turn that the deck raises very high on. All three blades are right out in the front, and easily accessible.

This makes the blade changing and deck cleaning super easy.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My Cub Cadet is 8 years old and I lubricate my bearings, center spindle, blade brgs, front wheels, steering knuckles etc, they last a long time if you Lube Them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a 7 year old Cub Cadet 48" cut. Mine is the garden tractor model with the shaft drive to the hydrostatic unit in the back. I have only replaed blades, belts and a couple of steering tie rod ends.

To make blade changing easy I made a sturdy bumper for the front and purchased a chain hoist form Harbor Freight ($50). I use the chain hoist to lift the front by the bumper to change the blades.

Jim Skeel

18. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I have a troy-bilt from Lowe's. Nothing wrong with it except it just does a crappy job of mowing. I would never own another one. Lawn is all chopped up and scroungy looking. Doesn't have wheels on the deck to keep things level. JUNK

19. APrice

APrice Active Member

At 80 years old, is the longevity of a lawn mower really all that critical? The smallest JD 100 series from a dealer or HD is $1499 and 10% off is common. A small step up to the hydrostatic drive makes life much easier and they only fail because of misuse or lack of proper maintenance.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Homeowners should be aware that many of the quality outdoor power equipment brands we grew up trusting such as Cub Cadet, Bolens, White Outdoor and Troy-Built have been bought out by MTD (Modern Tool and Die Company). MTD chose to "harvest" the brand recognition of these great American brand names and all that's left of them now (quite literally) is the sticker that MTD slaps on their own low-end product. The engineering, durability-based design, company infrastructure and integrity-focused quality control is history. If you ever bought a Yard Man push mower at K-Mart for $99, you know exactly what to expect from the above these "name brands" now - they're cheap and diposable, period.

It's the same thing that happened to my beloved Porter-Cable power tools when Black & Decker bought them. Today is a nice sunny Sunday and I'm in a good mood, so I better not get started on that.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tie rod end are contacting mowe deck mount troy built