1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ridin' on that New Delhi Freight Train

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by timb99, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ridin

Anybody been to New Delhi, India?

Highly likely I'll be going there for a business trip next week.

India is pretty high on my list of places I'd just as soon NOT go to, but given the current economic climate, I'm pleased as punch that I am gainfully employed on a project with a paying client.

Unfortunately, I really don't care for Indian cuisine, either.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pay close attention, that's where our country is headed.

HM

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Can I have your gun?

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Very funny....

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Be careful! Human life has little value there and tourists are fair game. They will cut off your hand to get your camera.

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

This is what you're in for, best of luck. Stick with the fruit, and sealed bottled water in a brand that you recognize. Oh, and don't go out alone.

Kip

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good luck Tim - better you than me. Take some heavy duty anitbiotics along (saved me a few times down south)

Send us an update from over there if you get a chance.

8. silverado

silverado TS Member

I contacted my priest today and I'm having a mass said in your name Tim. We'll remember you here. Goodbye.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Let us know how the new soft drink they are offeing tastes. It's made from cow urine.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, I've been to England, Scotland, Taiwan, Mainland China, Thailand (lived there almost 4 years), and even Canada, and survived.

I'll survive this one too.

I'm NOT drinking cow urine, though.

11. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Yes, I've been to New Delhi. Take some breathing oxy. if you'll be outside the hotel. When I was there in 1991 the smoke from burning cow pies (they live and cook meals beside the street) reached the third or fourth floor. If you decide to go to Agra to see the Taj Mahal (a big disappointment), buy a first class train ticket. Any other mode of transportation is a death wish.

Buz

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My brother in law was there for an extended period setting up a factory. All the food there - everything - has curry in it. He got so sick and tired of it that the moment he got off the plane in the States he went straight to a burger joint and ordered a pile of food.<br>
    <br>
    The bodyguards assigned to my BiL kept rapping people on the head with a large, rather menacing looking staff after they made a comment. My BiL asked what they were saying and the body guard said they were calling him a "white monkey". Seems not all Indians like us.<br>
    <br>
    His bodyguards said there were certain places in town not to go into. He got a pedalcab to take him there. When he looked back his bodyguards were heading the other way, and these guys looked like they could beat the snot out of a Bengal tiger.<br>
    <br>
    Because he was there for an extended stay, he was set up in an apartment near the factory site. The shower was outdoor plumbing down on the street corner. The whole building shared it. By outdoor, I don't mean like an outhouse with a shower head in it. It was a phone pole with a shower head coming off of it. Fortunately the toilet was indoors, though it served the entire floor.<br>
    <br>
    He made a vacation side trip to see the Taj Mahal. Be advised that you have to hike a looooong ways to see it.<br>
    <br>
    But, at least he didn't get attacked by a gang of robbers, like he did in Red China. But that's another story.

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

One of my coworkers spent a month there. He said after going 2800 miles by car and train, he never saw 1 traffic cop! There ARE no traffic laws, so LOOK OUT! He also said there were rats at the train station as big as cats, and all over, and nobody cares whatsoever. They will still throw uneaten food on the ground with trash cans 20 ft away. They don't care. He said the smell in many places makes you want to put Vicks into your nose! Althoug he was of Indian ancestry, he couldn't beleive any somewhat civilized country could be so bad!

One of the places in the world I have NO desire to visit.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't eat anything without Curry. Curry will kill everything, even you.......

15. capvan

capvan Active Member

Are your affairs in order?

16. DJM

DJM Member

We bought a large automated plating line from a company in Hong Kong. During the install the Chinese guys I worked with told me their company had to stop selling equipment to India because nearly all their technicians refused to go there any more for the installations. Another technician working for a local company that sold eqipment told a similar story. He said it was the worst experience he had ever had, due in part to getting sick. First thing he did when he got back was to tell his supervisor he would refuse to go again if asked. Don Miller

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

Tim,

I hope you won't be driving yourself around? Or driving with anyone else, for that matter? That would be a good thing. Probably better to skip car transport altogether, if possible.

My co-worker just got back from an extended trip to India a few weeks ago (he's Indian). They were in Punjab but Delhi was one of the places they were at while there. He said he and his wife (also Indian) are afraid to drive there. They both moved to the States while they were college age, and had not had much experience driving in India. He learned to drive in the US, with good roads, police, enforced traffic laws, etc. His wife had had a little experience driving in India before coming here. He said it scared the shit out of them when they went back to India.

Drivers don't follow any rules...they will pass with oncoming traffic in the way and narrowly miss them...pedestrians just walk out in the street and leave it to you not to hit them. He said he was sick with worry about having his wife and kid there, and thinking about them driving around. He said they let others drive them around while they were there...and were scared shitless the whole time.

Offered for what it's worth...

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

We'll see how Delhi traffic compares with Bangkok traffic.

19. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tim: It`s been really nice knowing & shooting with you.If by chance you do not return home I will say a short prayor and swill down a large bourbon and water in your memory.By any chance do you ever think your bride would ever see fit to become involved with another trap shooter ? HA-HA...John.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You may want to check into your local Best Western Motel to get acclimated before you go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.