1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous Question Here

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HDLLLIII, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I purchased a GraCo adjustable butt pad. I removed the butt pad from the stock. Here comes the ridiculous question. Why do the holes in the thicker plate that attaches to the stock not line up with the holes in the stock? The butt pad will bolt on the to thinner plate perfectly (they must have that dimension stashed away somewhere). Don't they realize that the installer (me) would like to remove afforementioned butt pad, trim both plates to size and use the EXISTING holes in the stock to attach the plate? This is the second time I have encountered this with this brand. I am not a gunsmith, nor do I pretend to be, but what logic can be used to make the distance between the pre-drilled and countersunk holes on the two plates different? What am I missing here? Larry Lockhart

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Not all gunmakers space the screw holes the same.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's one of those lousy manufacturer's games to make it more difficult to change from the OEM butt pad to a good one.

Keller

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is no standards organization for butt hole spacing.

HM

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Yeah, In band camp one year, I met this girl......

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Because the first plate is drilled so that you align the plate for the best fit
    some guns have offset stocks and drilled for that pad. Set the plate for best fit mark holes with a sharp pencil then center punch them and drill out w/ a 3/16ths drill bit attach plates in their prospective position, tighten and then score the first plate/scratch remove the assy, reassemble with pad then use the pad fitting jig and fit all together on belt sander.

You may need to drill out original holes nand install and glue in a dowell rod
    and cut it off flush w/stock.

Some guns may need a wood block in the cavity.

Why the difference this is my only answer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

320090T brought up an interesting subject and I would like to hear more. I hope he knows how to post pictures.

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I've never seen two butt holes that looked the same anyways. Some farther apart than others.

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that so many people look at butt holes and admit it. (LOL)

Sorry, Devil made me say it. Marc

10. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

In my former life as Proctologist to the Stars I can unequivocally say that butt holes, much like snow flakes, are each unique and distinctive with no two exactly alike.

The November 12, 1943 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine contained the case studies of one Dr. Livingston Spincterdosen that substantiated this claim via several thousand documented examinations.

This being the case, one could state with reasonable impunity that every butt hole on the ATA Executive Committee is diverse and without equal.
    Of course one could also say that regardless of this diversity, in the end, they are still butt holes.

Doc

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Speaking of butt holes....

12. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I did drill the original holes to 5/16 and glued hardwood dowel pins in. I cut them flush lightly sanded and installed the Graco. It should have been so much easier. I know why the fitters charge what they do to install pads/adjustable plates, etc. Just venting...Larry Lockhart

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

"just venting"? Yep, that's another thing they do.

14. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Wait, something's funny here.

are you saying that you took a pad off the gun and that same pad will fit the Graco unit, but the Graco won't fit the stock holes?

I've put a few of these on and never had that problem. Something seems off to me.

15. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

You have it exactly right Rastoff. 2nd time I have encountered this. 1st time Beretta 682, this time Remington 90T. Make no sense to me........Larry Lockhart

16. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

GOOD One HM. LMAO

i_shoot

17. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Larry:
    'Cause nothing is ever that simple.
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.