1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Riddle Me this.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Morning everyone: I have a question about 7/8 oz wads. I use 12ga 7/8oz GRAY
    WAA12L Winchester wads, Clays powder, #8 or 8.5 shot. I noticed at the Hodgdon site that the WAA12SL Pink wad is listed for 7/8 also. Winchester and other sits clearly label this wad as a 1oz to 1 1/8 wad. Why is it listed for use in the 7/8 column? I was looking to slow down to 1200fps. Thanks everyone. Dave T.

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

No proof positive, but because most reloading components and reloaders are set up for shot that does not have other ingredients (soft shot). The volume of 1oz soft shot might be nearer the volume of 7/8 oz of hard shot. get out ur scales.

best, Bob

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Is there a prize for correctly answering the riddle?

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just a thought but if a bulkier powder or a powder with higher charge weights (slower burning) is used, wouldn't that take up some of the space? Add in that the shot would be completely enclosed before the setback form firing and some willingness to accept a slightly dished in but still sealed crimp, it might provide a way to use wads that you may have already had on hand for use in some other load.

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Prize? Yes. You get to tell the world who you really are. Dave T.

6. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

He's lumper,,,,,,,

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I would still like to know who he was but your saying the prize would be I could be him? Sounds like a far sweeter prize than saying I could be OICU812.

8. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Excuse me while I go puke,,,,,,

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Your excused sir ... hope you feel better when you return.

10. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

All better now thank you,,,(lumper)

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Dave,

The manuals list loads that are safe to use, not necessarily what fits well. The grey wad is the one you want in the powder/shot combo you listed if you are using hulls like the STS. It doesn't take much powder to push a 7/8 oz load out at 1,200 fps. If you were going with higher velocities (more powder)then the pink wad might be a better fit. Let the finished crimp be your guide.

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Thank you Wolfram, Dave T.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I tried this load for practice shooting. This load actually worked pretty good, except I lost faith in it due to all the bloopers I got. In all honesty, though, I believe it was because I used Nobelsport primers instead of Winchester, to save a few bucks.

I did load 100 shells with Winchester primers and had no bloopers, but by then I had decided to go back to my 1 ounce load.

From now on, the Nobelsport primers are limited to my skeet loads...

Remington hull
    Winchster primers
    17.4 grains of Hodgdon CLAYS
    Gray Winchester wad (you can use the Downrange pink wad too)
    7/8 ounces of shot

To get this to fit, I used about 30 lb of wad seating pressure.

14. wolfram

Here is my current 12 gauge skeet favorite;

16 g 700x, 7/8Oz #8 or #9, WW Grey wad, Fed 209A, STS/Gun Club hull. The crimps look like factory. Very low recoil and 100% functioning in both my 391 and M1100.

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

wolfram: I usually shoot 28ga or 410 for skeet as a break from 12ga. 12ga, 7/8 oz for trap has been good for me. Have you tried 7/8oz of 8.5's? Dave T.

16. coot sluicer

coot sluicer Member

Dave T.,

This is just my best guess to your riddle. Frist came the WW.12 wad, then with the popularity of one once loads, Winchester came out with the new WW.12SL wads. I believe, Hodgdon was the first to publish 7/8 ounce loading data using the 12SL wad. Some time after the introduction of the 12SL, the rules changed for International Trap, mandating a new maximum load of
    24 grams at 1400 fps. After the rule change, Winchester developed a 24 gram wad that could pattern well at 1400 fps. The WW.12L "gray wad" was born.

So my answer to your riddle is, the 7/8 oz. WW.12SL loading data was published before the "gray wad" was introduced.

When you compare the two wads in the Hodgdon Reloader's Manual it appears that the "gray wad" is better suited for higher volocities loads. Interestingly,when using Clays powder in a 7/8oz. load in a Rem. STS hull, the "gray wad" requires 1.2 grains more powder for the same 1200 fps.

Try this load, its never let me down. 7/8oz. of 8 1/2, STS hull, Win.209 primer, 15.9 gr. of Clays, WW.12SL wad.

If there really is a prize and if I win, please just send the cash equivalent. Thanks Jeff J.

17. wolfram

Hi Dave,

I don't usually find 8 1/2 shot at regular prices so I don't load much of it. For the small gauges I just use #9. Those skeets die easy. I also use my skeet loads for quail hunting (my true passion) and find #8 work about the same as #9s (quail die easy too) . If I were to hit the lottery I would probably get a truck load of STS shells loaded with #8 1/2, well its something to day dream about anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.