1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rid racoons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

anti-acid tablets in cola (pepsi-coke-etc.). Set it out in a dish and watch em blow up.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A suppressed 10-22.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Like "Brian in Oregon" said, a .22 with my favorite in town ammo. CCI's .22 Long's with a 29gr bullet. Do not confuse with Long Rifle CCI's. I use my Lever action Marlin 39A. For us that cannot legally use a suppressor. Its as quiet as a pellet gun or quieter.
    grntitan_2009_250384.jpg

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

First off you need to remove the food source that that has attracted them. After that you have 3 choices, shooting them (a personal favorite), arsenic (you can get it in Grants Ant Killer) or mothballs.

I use mothballs. They are cheap and if you use them on the edge of your property it should keep the raccoons out. Drop them about a foot apart.

Jim R

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

I will second the CB Longs in the 39A. It works. Some of them will try to fool you by saying "meow." Blast the bastards anyway.

...I'd be interested in hearing more about the antacid tablets, though. How exactly does that work? Don't they fizz up as soon as you put them in there?

I'm always out for a way to make fuzzy little animals suffer. If you know something I don't, I want to hear about it.

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    buzz-gun, quote: <i>"I will second the CB Longs in the 39A. It works. Some of them will try to fool you by saying "meow." Blast the bastards anyway."</i>

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahAHAHAHahahahahaHAHAhahahaaaa coff coff ...uh, I mean, that's just wrong. (snicker)

8. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

BLUE DEATH...

It works plus if ya got your neighbors cat pissing all over your porch, it will cure that too!

9. joe kuhn

Catch 'em with a HaveAHeart trap and let 'em go somewhere in the forest preserve, but don't be talking about it.

10. grntitan

You can remove the food as one stated but i opt for the more permanent solution. A CB Long in the head and i promise you that coon will never come back. Also works well on pesky starlings, o'possums, cats, rats and neighbors if need be.---Matt

Ok, nevermind on the neighbor thing, too much paperwork.

I like the coon meowing too. I've got some of them play'n that game in my neighborhood.

11. joe kuhn

Heartless. I bet Kitty would back me on this.

We lock up the garbage in our shed. Outside cats put up with them and share the food. Johnny shoots 'em with a paint ball pistol you can buy at Meijer's. I just take the cat food in when the cats are done eating. No food, no coons.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What is blue death? I have always liked the box trap method. after you catch a cat , I mean after you catch a coon... put the trap in a gunny sack. take a 4 foot length of dryer hose and hang it over your cars exhaust pipe. Put the other end in the gunny sack for safe keeping while you go and turn the motor on. after 5 minutes your dryer vent hose has been properly pre-heated and is ready for installation on your dryer. Empty trap into the garbage can and reset it with more cat food to catch another coon.

13. joe kuhn

Meanie. That's alot of trouble when you could just remove the food source.

Can't we just all learn to live together?

14. RAScott

RAScott Member

Have a heart and a trash barrel of water.problem solved. Illegal to move your problem to someone elses yard. I"ll second the 22, at close range they growl at you.
    Bob S

15. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

1/2 coca-cola 1/2 Fly bait (Golden Malrin) put it in a dish and set...will kill'em on the spot.

16. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Racoons,, OK now you got me started! We have a family of 3, last year there was a family of 5 but I caught 2 of the babies in MY HAVAHEART traps. The Mother and the other 2 kits were on the traps until I went outside at 10AM!

I deported them to Lake Casitas. 2 miles away.

Mother and remaining two tore up my lawns the next night like you wouldn't believe.

They won't go near the traps, no matter what is in for bait.

Now it's just the mother and the remaining 2 kits which are now full grown, and they tear up our lawns looking for worms virtually every night.

My wife turned on all the sprinklers night before last to "make it miserable for them". They tore up one of our front lawns. They are after Worms, frogs,and anything else they can scavenge, so taking away the food source is not gonna work. They won't go near the traps so that won't work.

They are Varmints and there is a reason they are so classified. They destroy shit!

I like Brians 10/22 but I live in CA. I have tried various methods of silencing 22's with no real luck. I have two very powerful pellet guns but they are jsut not powerful enough for these critters.

We have a 20lb Tom CAT he pisses on everything everyday. It does not stop them at all.

I need a rifle that is almost completely silent because we have another varmint that lives in the house behind us who will call the sheriffs if she hears anything like a gun go off.

I have been meaning to build a device that is like a cross between a spear gun and a sling shot, to shoot .50 cal + lead balls. If I can get 350FPS out of it. it will do the trick.

Incidentially if you catch coons in a trap in CA you are not supposed to relocate them you are supposed to kill them.

They are not the fuzzy little buddies some people think they are. They have done in excess of $5K worth of damage to my property!

I just came in from hunting them when I found this thread.

I could go on, but you get my drift!

Randy

17. joe kuhn

WormX?

Yes, it's a long term problem. We've had nearly the same situation here except we went with GrubX. Lawn came back with fertilizer.

I'm betting on the human in Randy's case.

18. grntitan

Randy---You need to try the CCI CB Long's that i mentioned above. Trust me when i say they sound like a pellet gun but smack like a .22. You will not alarm the "in house varmit" and it is a one shot one kill solution. They are not always real easy to find and run about $8/100. Whenever i come across them i buy them by the brick. The best part is, they are a perfectly legal silencer. They won't cycle my 10/22's bolt so i use my lever action Marlin 39A. The auto .22 guns also make a little more noise because of the bolt cycling. Seek a box out and you won't be disapointed. As i said before, don't confuse the CCI LR or CCI Shorts with the CCI CB LONG's. The CB Long's are the only real subsonic .22 ammo in my eyes.---Matt

19. joe kuhn

I gave up killing when my neighbor's dog got caught in my fox set. Lived on the farm back then. I was too young to stand up like a man and take the dog to it's owner. Dog limped home after turning around and looking at me in the eyes.

Joe
    View attachment 245209

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

CB longs are the real ticket, especially in a longer barrel...24". Much more consistant and accurate than the CB short.

Blue Death to me is antifreeze and very effective as is the coke-malrin fly bait.

I've a customer whose wife hit a big racoon this summer with her new Toyota. Was over $1000 damgage to the front end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fly bait and coke

fly bait cola

fly bait to kill raccoons

golden malrin and coke

golden malrin is blue now

lead arsenic will it klll raccoons