1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rib removeable advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jp288, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp288

jp288 TS Member

Could someone tell me the best way to remove a keens aluminun rib. It has be stuck on old rib with black loctite. Thanks in advance

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Fishing line used like a saw?

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

What BigM-Perazzi said, plus add some heat from a heat gun.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with black loctite, perhaps it's the black sealant that Keen supplies with the rib? The fish line works somewhat but wears through quickly, maybe I had old line? :) Try a razor blade or fine knife edge along the length on both sides and then flex the rib back and forth gradually. I found that worked but I was playing with a short rib, about 12", not full length.

5. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

A Heat gun is a big help and I use a box cutter with the blade angled up to the bottom of the add on rib so as not to mar the original rib. Of course the fishing line is best if that will work the blade is for difficult jobs only go slow take your time I use paint thinner to remove the excess silicone with a shorten bristle tooth brush. Buddy

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A single edge razor blade is better than a box cutter because the blade is thinner. Once you start the cut, it slices through the silicone very easily and won't damage either rib if you're reasonably careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

teckney firearms