1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rib - is "floating" of any benifit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jhh, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhh

jhh Member

Rib - is

Have a Ljutic Banana Gun I bought new in early 80's, never liked it. I recently resleeved it with a regular barrel and have been shooting it with a rib made of maple in order to find what would be good specs. for the rib height ect. Some years ago I put a rib on a Parker that I built much like a Simmons, ie. I dovetailed the rib to the post. When I started shooting I had a Rem 31TC, the rib was intregal with the bbl. and there were coments that as the bbl. got hot the poi would go up. Never thought much about it. I know you guys test stuff a lot, my question is do any of you know wheather the floating rib on such a gun (Ljutic, now a mono) is of any importance. Attaching the rib securely to each post is a much easier way of making one than the dovetail method, but if there is an issue with the poi, I can with more work make up the dovetailed type. Thanks for your thoughts, John Hancock

2. 333t

333t Member

Rib - is

I recently had a very informative discussion with a gentleman at Simmons Gun Repair about ribs. I had inquired about a solid rib that was beginning to come loose at one end. He indicated that Simmons rib are floating in dovetails and are guaranteed not to come loose. The only thing he would guarantee about a solid rib (repair)is that it would eventually come loose from shooting the gun. The reason he gave for this is that the barrel flexes a little every time the gun is fired and with a solidly attached rib something has to give somewhere. It may take years for this to happen depending on how much the gun is fired. With a heavily used gun the separation could begin rather quickly.

I would think that the same issues would apply to a solidly attached (non-floating) ventilated rib and the extra work to make it floating is probably a good idea.

I really like the integral rib on the 31TC and haven't noticed any POI changes but then I haven't shot any test patterns either.

Phil

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Rib - is

You don't really need a floating rib in most cases, especially if you have an adjustable comb,which I think is far better. But, if you don't have the comb, you probably need the floater rib. One way or the other, you got to be sure you can ;FIT' your gun to you and get your correct POI.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Rib - is

Hipshot3- Uh, I'm not sure your not brain farting again...... floating rib, not, adjustable rib...

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Rib - is

Dam!......Foiled again!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Rib - is

lol

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rib - is

Hoosier Daddy- Actually, humans should have three pair of floating ribs.

Phil- In general, I think the advice you were given is good, but many guns do not have floating ribs and they seem to hole up well. And, on some guns (K-80) a floating rib would not work at all.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.