1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rib help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I put a 5/8" keensight rib on my top single barrel.I have the comb(pfs) adj all most all the way to the top.It still shoots 50-50.any help?

2. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

You added 5/8 of an inch to the rib and it still shoots the same?

Did you adjust anything else?

3. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

You are like a cat chasing the tail.

It might be easier if you just plant your cheek on the stock--very hard- and mush the side of your cheek on it.

try it in your livingroom-- it makes a difference.

pick a spot on your wall and mount your gun.

try a soft cheek or a "mooshed stock in the face cheek" look at your spot

look at the end of the barell, did ya see the difference?

Like three inches? Try it again.. and again.

Kenny Uhlbeck

4. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

the rib is .207 higher in the front. i have moved every thing on this pfs.it still shoots low.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If the front sight is on the front end of the rib, which I would imagine it is, and the sight is now higher than before, the gun will now shoot LOWER than before unless you raise the rear sight (your eye) higher than it was with the old front sight. Think of sighting-in a rifle or handgun with open sights.

Ed

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

The higher you move the bead or rib above the front of the barrel, you are essentially moving the barrel below the orignal sighting plane, This will make the gun shoot lower. If you wanted to make the gun shoot higher, you would bring the front of the barrel closer to the rib or use a smaller bead. This would bring the barrel higher to the sighting plane makingthe gun shoot higher.

If you look at most ribbed barrels except for the extremely flat shooters, you will see the rib tapering from the rear of the barrel(the highest point) to the front of the barrel the lowest point. The amount of taper from rear to front determines how high the gun will shoot when looking down the sighting plane. If your rib was adjustable and you lowered the rib on the barrel it will shoot higher. Every time you change the sighting plane you must move the comb to keep the same point of aim relationship. If you have no care about stacked beads, you can raise the comb which raises your eye higher (the rear sight) causing the gun to shoot higher. Kenny is correct, if are loose on the comb, your eye will be higher causing your gun to shoot higher, if you bury your face on the stock, it will lower your eye making the gun shoot lower.

Surfer

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Don't listen to any one else but Average ED. If your new rib is parallel to your old rib, the gun will not shoot higher unless you raise your comb and see a larger "gap" between the beads. Raise your comb, it will shoot higher. Lower your bead it will shoot higher. Raise your bead or lower your comb, it will shoot lower.

It's tough to explain this writing, but your getting some bad information from some of the other comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.