1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rib height

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

I am sure this has been discussed before so I appologize if rehashing old info. I am thinking of increasing the height of my rib on my gun, what is the advantage, disadvantage?

Will it help with HDC or Doubles?

Who would you recommend to make the rib?

Thanks!

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

One of the major reasons many shooters like/use a raised or high rib is that it helps place your head in a more upright position when shooting. This in turn, seems to reduce fatigue over multiple rounds shot. Another advantage for many is that it places the barrel well below your line of sight, thus making it easier to see the target and keeps the barrel from obscuring the target, thus target tracking is at least theoretically better.

That being said, some shooters just cannot shoot a high rib well. Whether this is because such shooters subconsciously use the barrel itself as an aid to judging target angles and leads, etc, or for some other reasons, they just have difficulty in using a high rib and are better off sticking to normal rib heights.

If you are considering adding a higher rib, then I would suggest you try the higher line of sight first. Do this by obtaining a sheet of balsa wood, thickness close to your ribs width. Cut a strip of the balsa to the height you think you might want an add on rib (better yet, cut several srips (say 3/8 inch, 1/2 inch, etc) Paint these strips black, and then add to your existing rib with a bit a black electrical tape (or similar). If you want a bead, then cut one of the plastic round head pins and stick that in the balsa "rib" for a front bead. In this way, you can determine if (1) you like an add on rib, and (2) what height you would be most comfortable with without costing you that much . Once that determination is made, and you decide a higher rib works for you, then you can have a real add on made. You can even get adjustable add on ribs nowadays. There are a number of companies making them these days. I like Keen Sights, but there are many others that make good ribs also. Just do a search on the forum for add on ribs to find these makers.

Jim R

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Thanks for the input that sounds like a great idea and inexpensive as well. Should I adjust the comb equally the same distance?

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am sure Jim will input on your follow up question, but in short the answer is yes.

Bryan

5. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Thanks for your help.

Anyone find a higer rib help with hdc targets?

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

knutershooter

In order to maintain the same POI as you have at present, you would need to raise the comb the same amount as the added rib height. If you moved the comb less than the added rib height, you would be lowering the POI, and if more, then that would raise the POI.

As for caps, I do not find the added rib height changes things any more than it does for 16 yard targets. That is, if it helps you at 16 yards, it will also likely help for caps. But if it does not help, or you have trouble with a raised rib at the 16 yd line, you would likely have the same issues at caps.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ratio of rib height to comb height