1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rib height question.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goosedowner, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Height
    I have a Bt-100 and like it but after shooting a MX-2005 a few weeks ago I decided that I would like to have a higher ribbed gun. Because of money or the lack of it I don’t foresee a new trap gun in my near future but I was thinking that since I already have a good sound gun why not just add a Moneymaker 1” high adjustable rib on my gun. My questions about this plan are
    One; are Moneymaker ribs well built and will they hold up to years of shooting.
    Two; my Bt100’s rib is 5/8” high so would the extra 3/8” make much of a difference (will I be able to tell that much?)

Thanks
    Lee

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Lee: Honestly, the rib does NOTHING for POI. You shoot off the end of the barrel (front bead), so I would not waste my money getting a new rib.

What I WOULD invest in would be an adjustable butt-stock, if you do not have one already. Raising the COMB will raise the POI, not the RIB ... unless you LOWER the front of the present rib, which in effect raises the angle of the barrel.

Whiz White

3. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Thanks whiz, The gun shoots where I want it to now but I want to raise my head up some. I like the sight picture of the MX-2005 and I liked how the gun fit me and I would like to make my gun fit like that.

Lee

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not so fast my friend.... Although what Whiz says is true, it will result in a substantial change in your POI.. If you are interested in a higher rib to keep your head erect AND maintain you current POI, you would need to have the higher rib installed. I'd suggest talking to Keen Sights first for their add on rib. Moneymaker, I believe, replaces the complete rib...expensive solution...

for examples, check out the above website information.

Jim C.

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I go with the Keen Sight rib. You can get the rib tapered to help raise the POI. You will need an adjustable comb also. Country Gentleman, Keith Heeg there are several good wood people that do that. The comb & rib attachment will be considerably cheaper than Moneymakers work. My experience with Ray Barnes has been spotty over the years. I have had excellent work and very poor work.

6. BigM-Perazzi

MX-8B,
    you've just proved our points. He wanted a more erect head position and the same POI, so he had to raise his rib and his comb... if he had wanted only a higher POI he would have just raised his comb... the picture shows clearly the obvious raising of both.....

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need a rib that runs parallel to the existing rib. The thickness(height) of the rib will be equal to the amount you raise the comb. This will keep the same POI that you have now. HMB

8. BigM-Perazzi

Go to your local hobby shop. purchase some plastic model railroad girders available in 1/4-1/2 x18". glue them to your rib to give you an idea what it will look like....or stack up the balsa/basswood to do the same....

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Lee,

If you want your head (and neck) in a more upright position, you can do one or both of two things:

You can mount your gun higher on your shoulder or,

You can have a pad/stock adjuster installed. It will allow the recoil pad to be lowered and with a good gun mount (with the heel of the pad about 1" above your collarbone), that will result in an upright head and neck position. Pad adjusters also lengthen the stock so you may have to have it cut during installation.

High ribbed guns have stocks with different dimensions, particularly the drop at the heel dimension. To raise the position of the eye (relative to the higher rib), the stock must be straighter, i.e. not as crooked and angling down as much.

Rollin

10. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Thanks guys that's the kind of info I wanted to know. I was thinking about having my gun restocked so I could do i higher rib and a new stock to match up to it I guess. For now I think i will try and add height to my existing rib and see how I like it (yes I will adjust my comb lol)

Thanks
    Lee

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Big M has a good point, I was able to find a hobby store that had some very straight (white metal ) mini I beams. They where good to use on my 870 to raise the rib up to match the raised comb. looked ok and was very close to the same thickness as the rib on the 870.

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I know a new Trap gun isn't in your future but your willing to spend some money to modify your current gun. I would, just to be sure, take what your going/willing to spend on upgrades(or downgrades if the de-value the gun) and the fair market value of your BT-100 and shop around. A lot of guns out there and there may be one that fits the bill "out of the box' so to speak. Dave T.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dave T, great point. Also that was mentioned to me. I was going to "build" a trap gun out of my 870 exspress. I used what I might have spent on my XT.
    I was planning on getting a 30" trap barrel 200.00 The stock I was looking at was 400.00........nice wood matching forarm adj comb/recoil pad. 100.00 worth of chokes ect ect I put it twards a XT.

14. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

No one ever did say if 3/8" would make a difference or not.

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No. Not much, Goosedowner. But you could just try balsa wood and see. . .

One thing is sure, it's not worth re-ribbing to get that 3/8 inch. I do wonder, though, how much higher than your present gun is the MX-2005 you liked?

Neil

16. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

Build and shoot a high rib with the POI you want with balsa wood and then order a Keensight rib built to order. Inexpensive and works great.

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Don't mount your gun different! If you get advise like that with out the person watching you shoot I would be skeptical. A pad adjuster is of no value for your situation. You need a higher rib and comb. I would call Dennis Devault if you want a perfect custom add on rib. Wouldn't go to the expense of moneymaker. If you already have an adjustable comb and need a higher comb built I can do that for you.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.