1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rib height poi change

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by condor2002, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. condor2002

condor2002 TS Member

Installed a one inch raised rib and lifted comb the same because of neck pain . Changed poi by at least 20 inchs lower any one had this happen to them and how did you fix it other than putting a tapered rib on . Thanks

2. metal1

metal1 TS Member

added a 1 in rib to a older win 101 and have not noticed any diff other than easier to shoot was able to do my 1st 25 straight from the back line,jeff

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As long as the add-on rib is not tapered, and the comb is raised the same amount (height) as the height of the add-on rib, there should be no significant change in POI. Since you are noting a lowered POI, that may well indicate that with the raised comb, you have changed the way you shoulder and cheek the gun, perhaps pushing the face/cheek more into the comb to compensate for the different feel of the comb and stock. If so, you are likely negating much of the effect of raising the comb, thus effectively lowering the POI of the gun.

Jim R

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

if you raised your front bead 1" with an add on rib, and you raised your comb 1", the gun will have the same POI it did before you added the rib.

5. condor2002

condor2002 TS Member

I know thats what some say but the pattering doesnt lie.Had a stock fitter tell me this happens so we put a speed bump on the back of the rail back to hitting targets again. Time to order tapered rib. Thanks

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

So the add on rib changed the point of impact? I've had recoil reducers change the POI, but this is the first I've heard of add on rib causing it.

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The only other way he could lower the poi is he is mounting the recoil pad in a different spot in his shoulder. This happens quite often when people go to a higher rib. It sounds like you need to do some tweaking to the recoil pad with a pad adjuster.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The original poster says he's 20" LOWER. Lower from what? At what distance? Is this rib a full length rib and of the same thickness from one end to the other?

If the rib has a parallel thickness, there's no way the POI can now be 20" lower. I would think you'd be looking below the gun.

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Did you get a tapered rib and they put it on backwards???? I think if you do an add-on rib, it will lower your POI by the same amount, but since we are dealing with an inch or so, who would notice? Obviously, if you put a 3 ft. add-on and it was parallel to you rib, you would end up with your POI 3 ft. lower, now that would be noticeable. I went with a prettly high extension of 1.5" and did not notice any measurable POI change, but Keensights might build in a slight taper to adjust.

My guess is you need to make some additional adjustments in the comb, but actually I would check and see if the new rib is parallel to the old one.

d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.