1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapperwads, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Active Member

Love strawberry-rhubarb pie. Anyone know how to grow rhubarb and when it comes into season? I seem to remember late spring-early summer. ed nichols
  2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Member

It needs a p/h of the soil around 6 to 6.5,and a good shot of organic fertilizer helps.If your thinking about planting,they stop shipping by the end of april.Buy the rooted plants,and its cut in the spring when they get big enough [ie] the middle to the end of may. Burpees and Johnnys select seed carry roots for planting. Good luck.. Ray
  3. Jeff P

Jeff P Active Member

I'll bet, if you look around, you'll get more than you would ever need from neighbors. The question might be "how NOT to grow rhubarb"...back when I was a kid, I was rototilling the garden and ran over mom's rhubarb - it wasn't up for the summer yet - and in two weeks, we had it growing EVERYWHERE.

I have 4 plants. I don't water them. I don't fertilize them. And the most I've ever cut at one time was SEVENTY TWO CUPS of chopped rhubarb.

I'll dig out a great recipe for cobbler and post it...
  4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Active Member

We had two bunches of rhubarb in the back yard when I was a kid.

One you could eat from the plant when it was ripe, but the other seemed to never ripen to a very sweet taste.

Anyone know the difference?

Danny
  5. avery53

avery53 Member

Find someone who has some plants that will let take some. Dig up one, break it apart and plant the roots seperately. You will have more than you know what to do with in a couple of years. You would have to try really hard to kill them. Here's a hint to grow really big rhubarb. Roadkill, fish, fish guts, about anything dead and stinky. Dig along side of the plant, insert whatever, and cover. You will have the best rhubarb in the neighborhood.
    One year a trapper gave me his beaver carcasses, buried about 10 of them, I had rhubarb big as your wrist. lol
    Save your kitchen scraps, even bones. They love garbage!
  6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmm rhubarb pie.
  7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

My amish grandmother made the best Rhubarb Pie I ever tasted, no strawberries, just Rhubarb. Damn I miss that
  8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Danny,

I s'pect the difference was that they were different varieties.
  9. ctreay

ctreay Member

We have two varietys of rhubarb, green, which never really turns red which is a little on the sour side. and the red, which does get really red and is much sweeter. We make pies and such out of the red, mix the two for canning jam and sauces. We are in northern NY and ours is up about two inches now.

ctreay
  10. JACK

JACK Active Member

None of you guys COOK? Get a recipe going here!
  11. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member

If you like rhubarb, you need to come to our Rhubarb Featival in June (check out link above). Lots of rhubarb items for sale and some of the best homemade pies in the world. I make a pretty darn good rhubarb pie myself.......

Sue
  12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Sue, love those kinds of festivals. We go to a garlic fest, chili fest every year. yours sounds good
  13. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member

You would have a great time if you like food! The homemade rhubarb icecream and the smoked, BBQ beef brisket sandwiches are to die for! Iowa chops and rhubarb custard pies aren't bad either. It's a must go if you like small farming community festivals. There is many small shops in town with a lot of specials during the festival as well.....

Sue
  14. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

Rhubarb makes great wine, too.
  15. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Anybody else like rhubarb and raisin pie? Ken
  16. trapperwads

trapperwads Active Member

The Betty Crocker cookbook has an excellent recipie. Two versions. The more strawberries you mix in the less sugar. My significant other who has never liked rhubarb said the pie I made last year was the best pie of any kind she ever tasted. And I used a store mix pie crust. ed nichols p.s. Just got home from agway where I bought a rhubarb to plant.
  17. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

Use a 8 inch round cake pan. Chop up enough Rhubarb to cote bottom of pan. Sprinkle sugar to top Rhubarb. Option sprinkle Jello Straw berry mix on top of sugar not much just enough to show some color. Top with one box of prepared Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake mix 9oz.and bake.

Had to cover my Rhubarb the last couple of nights for frost protection. With the mild winter here in S.E. Minnesota one of my Rhubarb patches is almost ready to pick. When my Strawberries are ready my neighbors and myself make a number of deserts and pies.The problem is the season is to short.
  18. RickN

RickN Active Member

Jim, that sounds easy enough even I could make that. I'll have Rhubarb here by the weekend.
  19. rw993

rw993 Member

Rhubarb was not made to mixed with anything.... Grammy used to make a Rhubarb sauce to put on ice cream... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

RW
  20. david

david Member

Strawberry-Rhubarb Gelatin Mold:

1 can rhubarb drained; you can also use 2 c. frozen rhubarb (Kroger's carries it) that has been cooked
    make a simple syrup of 1 c. water and 1 c. sugar heated until sugar is dissolved.<br>
    1 package frozen strawberries (about 2 cups)--thawed<br>
    2 small packages strawberry gelatin--not sugar-free<br>
    2 and 3/4 cups boiling water

In large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in drained rhubarb and strawberries.<br>
    Pour into greased ring mold or other mold. Chill until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.<br>
    Unmold onto serving plate.<br>
    Makes 10-12 servings.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.