1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhode Wins World Championship

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

From THE SHOOTING WIRE:

Munich---In dramatic fashion Kim Rhode accomplished a handful of things at the International Shooting Sports Federation 2010 World Championships in Women's International Skeet. First, Rhode won the World Championship title by shooting an overall score of 97/100 targets. In addition, she won an all-important quota slot for the USA Olympic Shooting Team at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

In addition, Rhode and her teammates, Haley Dunn and Amber English won the International Skeet Team gold medal. With her World Cup wins in Acapulco and Beijing and this World Championship in Munich, she has now surpassed the threshold of 45 points which is required to qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Rhode now has 53 points and a commanding lead in the race to earn the right to represent the USA in these upcoming Games.

Rhode added "All the hard work and training that has gone into this one day makes this win especially sweet when I was able to secure a quota slot for the 2012 Olympic Games
    for Team USA."

2010 has been another watershed year for the four-time USA Olympic medalist. Last month Rhode won the U.S. Nationals in International Skeet and is currently ranked #1 in the World. Her quest to make all-time Olympic history by earning her fifth straight Olympic medal in her fifth straight Olympic games is starting to come to the attention of the entire Olympic Movement. This has never been accomplished by any U.S. athlete in an individual sport.

Sydney Surgi at NRA Awards Dinner - Photo Courtesy of NRAA couple of weeks ago, Kim's record quest was included as one of the "stories to watch" by the United States Olympic Committee. Kim hopes that this development will bring more attention to USA Shooting and to the entire outdoor industry.

She noted, "Our sport is so demanding and all of my competitors are so very good at what they do that it is very satisfying to me to see all of our efforts appreciated by more sporting experts in the Olympic Movement and in the sports world in general."

Rhode was ready on Sunday and immediately shot back-to-back perfect rounds of 25/25 to set the early pace. Her third round score of 22/25 put her in a tie for first place at 72/75 going into the final round.

In the manner that has become her trademark, Rhode responded to the pressure of the moment by shooting another perfect 25/25 to capture the gold medal by one target.

Rhode was very aware of what was riding on this last round and joked, "No pressure, right? I was definitely feeling the excitement for the match."

Sydney Surgi at NRA Awards Dinner - Photo Courtesy of NRAAs she enters inside the two-year mark before the 2010 London Olympic Games, she is very appreciative of the efforts of those around her whom have empowered her with their continued support for all of the costs of her training, travel and competition.

Rhode acknowledged "Quite simply, the costs for a competitive shooter are among the highest in the Olympic world. I could not succeed without the support of the United States Olympic Committee and USA Shooting as well as my amazing sponsors. In addition, there are those who are closest to me who are the "wind beneath my wings" and they know how much I appreciate their supportive efforts."

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Congrat's Kim! Wow, those are some accomplishments.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

2010 ISSF WC Beijing - USA's Rhode equalled the Skeet Women's world record

May 2010

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bP8qt0FyybQ&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bP8qt0FyybQ&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

USAs Olympic multi-medallist Rhode won the Skeet Women event with 98 hits, equalling the World Record of 74 hits out of 75 targets during the qualifications. Two Chinese shooters followed her in second and third place, winning the applauses of the home crowd.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

2010 ISSF Shotgun World Cup in Acapulco - Skeet Women Final

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAws2kkYFJY&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAws2kkYFJY&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

5. bas

bas Member

That is fantastic, I still remember her winning the Gold at the games in Atlanta...that was Doubles Trap. What a talented shooter and athlete.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

HM

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'm so not surprised about her winning, with her talent and dedication, she deserves every moment of the glory.

No doubt she will bring another medal home at the 2012 Olympics. I'm planing a trip to London to see her shoot.

All the best wishes to her.

8. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Photo of Kim signing an autograph for my daughter during the SCTP Nationals this July. She told great stories of her and her Dad...
    [​IMG]

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Well done Kim! I hope she brings home another Olympic gold.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Dumbest photo op I missed: Walked into Oaktree Trap and Skeet Club in Newhall, California. Was with Phil Ross and his "better half", Jan. We ordered hamburgers. Kim Rhode, who trains there, served us. She was "taking a break" and socializing with her friends in the kitchen. I mean that was a great moment that should have been captured...I mean Kim and Phil together and we just all visited for a while...

Kudos to Kim!! A fifth medal likely for Kim. And for Phil Ross, he is winning now in seven decades in ATA competition with some monster scores from the 27!!

---David Buchman
    Los Angeles

11. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Way to go Kim,

Bomber

12. oz

oz Active Member

Kim should be on trapshooters. she won (i believe) 3 olympic medals in TRAP until they did away with her event. SO she changed over to skeet where there was an event she could compete in and here she is now. Simply a wonderful young lady. oz

13. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Some years back I read a story about Kim & I don't know why but I believe she started out as a skeet shooter when she was a kid (teen & pre-teen). I believe she set many records for her age/category at that time but I could be wrong about that. Sometimes the old memory plays trick on me.
    Colonel

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Everybody on this sight LOVES Kim, dux, so I'm sure you won't hear a disparaging word.

Besides, she's a trapshooter. The dumb IOC just elimiated her sport so she had to switch to something!

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Colonel Klink, yes, Kim shot American Skeet years ago before she got religion and started shooting real clay targets. Not too long ago, I did some research on her NSSA records and posted it. I have no idea what became of that thread. It may have been on Shotgunworld.com.

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Just for the record, she won the first Olympic Gold medal in Ladies Double Trap at the '96 Atlanta, then a Bronze in 2000 Sydney, another gold in 2004 Athens, and a silver in Ladies Skeet at 2008 Beijing.

17. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

I like the pink smoke and she is something else.

18. oz

oz Active Member

so much for the guy above who wanted a 5 straight for the ladies. He should wear one. oz

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Here is what happened. Kim was originally a NSSA skeet shooter. She won just about everything as a Sub Junior and Junior. When it came time for her to step up to the big league of Olympic Shooting the screwy ISSF banned women from Trap and Skeet. They gave the women a new sport... Double Trap. Kim switched to DT and promptly won 2 golds and a bronze in 3 Olympics. The ISSF then banned women from DT and Kim switched back to Skeet and won the Silver in Beijing and now the World Championships.

TB

20. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What a class act, and a great spokeswoman for our sport. Hats off to you, Kim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.