1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhode ties world record to claim shooting gold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Rhode ties world record to claim shooting gold

BEIJING, April 18 (Xinhua) -- Beijing Olympic silver medalist Kimberly Rhode equaled the world record to win a brighter medal from women's skeet at Beijing ISSF World Cup here on Sunday.

The 31-year-old shooter hit 74 of all the 75 targets to lead other five markswomen, including three hosts, in the qualification round to reach the final.

Rhode delivered a consistent performance in the final, equaling the world record by shooting a winning score of 98 hits.

"Obviously, shooting here before, the experience, I had brought that with me." she said. "I think I'm getting better and better. Because with the double trap eliminated from the Olympics, I have to switch to skeet. It is really new to me. I still spend every day learning something new."

Rhode had dominated women's double trap by taking the Olympic golds in both Atlanta and Sydney. However, she had to transfer to skeet after the exclusion of women's double trap from the Olympics since 2004.

Two Chinese shooters Shi Hongyan and Wei Ning took the silver and bronze respectively.

Russian rifle shooter Denis Sokolov edged out Chinese Olympic gold medalist Zhu Qinan by 0.1 point to end up highest on the podium from men's 10m event.

Zhu had to settle for the silver with 701.2 points, while Gagan Narang from India got the bronze.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I wonder if Kim was shooting the MX12 that was stolen and returned, or did she retire it, and has another Perazzi? Wayne

3. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

All I know is, that girl can SHOOT!!!

Rich in Indiana

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

She has a new gun and the wood is something to behold. I saw her last week before she left. We, SCVQUWF, were having a BSA merit badge shoot at OakTree and she was there. She came over to the table with her new dog (cute little thing) and was chatting us up. The wood on this gun is amazing. it is a highly figured blonde walnut that very suddently changes into a very dark, almost black figure walnut for the last 3 inches of the butt. The same figure shows in the forend as well. This is truly a 1 in a million piece of wood.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Wonder what she was wearing as the new ISSF dress code bans blue jeans. Rumor has it that the ban came in because of the jeans that Kim wore. Other items that are banned are any cammo gear, shoes without an enclosed heel and real short shorts.

TB

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

TB, I wonder how many more "special" rules the commission will heap on the gals in international competitions? Sounds sorta silly to me.

WTG Kim, great job!!

Hap

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You can watch the entire final round on issf-tv.

The girl from Slovakia really got the short end. There seemed to be a lot of "no birds" and all of them seemed to fall on her. That has to mess with you. She had kind of a neat semi-thumbhole stock on her gun.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Oh... the rules apply to men and women. Men can't wear jeans as well...

TB

10. Hap MecTweaks

TB, thanks but that sounds just as silly? Hap

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

The really sick thing about this is that they took women's trap doubles out of the Olympics because the Chinese and the Italians couldn't compete with Kim.

Go get 'em, Kim...

EE

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

But she still beats them regularly in skeet!

There were 3 Chinese women in this final, one from Russia, and one from Slovakia.

And if I heard it right, the lady from Russia was celebrating her 49th birthday.

Kim's only in her early 30's. Imagine the records she'll have if she shoots into her 40's!

Looks like none of the USA men made the final round in skeet in Beijing.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Eye protection is not required in international competition.

Personally, I think its stupid not to protect your eyes, but there you have it.

14. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

timb99......Thread stated Kim is 31 years of age, but we get your point !!!!!!!
    Rob

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Fixed it.

Really like the powder pack targets they use in the finals. Makes it so much easier to see on the videos.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Tim, when I tried to watch the video, said next viewing is 12 hours or something like that? Hap

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Use the right menu. Shoot-off skeet highlights and also an interview given by Rhodes.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Joe!! Hap

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hap,

You're on the right page.

But when you get there, look to the right-hand side of the screen and there will be a list of videos you can view. Scroll down to the one that says:

ISSF World Cup <br>
    Beijing CHN 2010 <br>
    Final Skeet Women <br>
    > Highlight > Long version

The long version is 45 minutes and shows the entire round, and its narrated in English. The highlights are shorter. I can't view it from the office due to our firewall, but I watched the long version at home last night. You can enlarge to full screen, but the video becomes a little grainy.

20. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

"Looks like none of the USA men made the final round in skeet in Beijing".

The top score for USA Mens Skeet team finished just one target out of the final six. The team at this world cup included two juniors. I applaud the move to give the younger team members some valuable international experience. You need a strong base to keep the program vital for years to come. Although with shooters the quality of Hancock and Rhode the future looks solid for the next decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.