1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhode adds hardware to Olympic medal collection

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rhode adds hardware to Olympic medal collection

Kimberly won silver in skeet shooting - By Keith Lair, Pasadena Star-News

Kimberly Rhode now has a set and a place in the U.S. Olympic history books.

The Monrovia resident returned home from Beijing on Monday with a silver medal she won in women's skeet shooting last week at the Olympic Games. She is the first American woman to have medalled in the sport and only the third American to ever earn a medal in the event.

Teammates Vincent Hancock made it four just days later, when he won gold in the men's competition.

The second-place finish gives her two golds, a silver and a bronze in four different Olympics. Her previous medals had been won in double trap, an event that was eliminated after the 2004 Athens Games.

"This is one of the best," Rhode said this week, while trying to readjust from the 15-hour time difference in China. "I had to work five times harder for this medal. I had to work harder for this medal than my other medals. There were so many things to overcome, from my arm (injury) to the changing of events. And I had such a short period of time in which to do it."

The cities of Monrovia and El Monte, where she grew up, and Cal Poly Pomona, from which she graduated, will honor her in September.

Monrovia will honor her Sept. 2 at a City Council meeting, El Monte will honor her as part of an open house relating to a new law enforcement facility on Sept. 20 and Cal Poly again will hold a "Kim Rhode Day" as part of its invocation event for staff and faculty members Sept. 22.

Rhode and her U.S. teammates spent three weeks in Asia - a week training in South Korea and two weeks in Beijing. She marched in the opening ceremonies, in the fifth row on the outside, "behind a big basketball player," and remained in Beijing a few days after her event to cheer on her teammates and tour sites with relatives and her fiance, Mike Harryman.

The competition, the third since the International Olympic Committee separated the genders, was unusual. Held in a downpour, the event went to a three-competitor sudden death shootoff between Rhode, eventual winner Chiara Cainero of Italy and Christine Brinker of Germany. They all hit 93 of the 100 clay targets.

"Sudden death is not that common, especially for the Olympics and especially for three," said Rhode, 29. "Usually, it might be between first and second or second and third. That tells you of the high quality of athletes, and it showed."

There was no rain when the competition started, and Rhode was tied for third after the first 75 shots, breaking 70 targets. The top six advanced to the final 25 clays and Rhode hit the most, 23, and got into the shootoff when leader Cainero hit 21.

That's when Rhode said she first noticed the weather conditions, which had turned into a downpour.

"I lifted my shotgun for the first shot and water was running off my elbow like a river," she recalled. "That's when I realized it was like a monsoon. That's why the top shooters advanced; they did not let the conditions distract them."

But thanks to her father, Richard, the rain didn't faze her either.

"We would be training (at Newhall's Oak Tree Gun Club) and it would be pouring," she said. "I would want to quit, but Dad would tell me that sometime I might be shooting in the rain. So, thanks Dad."

The three athletes drew numbers from a hat for the shoot-off; Rhode getting No. 1, a spot she said did not matter to her. She hit the first target, but missed the second. Brinker did the same and Cainero hit both of her targets for gold.

"I mis-mounted and sort of had to trick-shot it," Rhode said of the first clay. "That put me out of position for the second one."

After Cainero's victory, it took several minutes to resume the silver-bronze match because of Cainero's celebration. Rhode hit both clays and Brinker missed the second clay, giving Rhode the silver.

"Everyone worked just as hard to get there, but only three can walk away with a medal, so as much as I wanted to win, I couldn't be happier."

Rhode said she has already set her sights on London in 2012, and she is only stepping away from her MX-12 Perazzi shotgun just enough to recuperate and get her time bearings straight. She's then going back to Oak Tree to begin preparing for next year's USA Shooting team.

There is a fall selection match Sept. 13-20 in Colorado Springs, Colo. She will then shoot in a World Cup event in Russia.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.