1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhino subgage tubes question...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anchorsteam, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Anybody have any experience with the 15" Rhino subgage tubes? They are advertised for 'Sporting Clays' shooters and the length was designed to not add appreciable weight out in front of the gun, but more so between the hands so as to not upset the natural gun balance. Anybody ever shot these for skeet or other clay target disciplines? Do they make a 'bloop' noise like the very short subgage inserts? I would think that a 28, 30 or 32" barrel length would naturally attenuate some of the noise. Any inputs on the pattern? Comments appreciated. Thanks. mar

2. Rimfirejim

Rimfirejim TS Member

Briley sells something similar for 700.00. Complete with tools and for 20,28,410 ga. and new not used. Jim

3. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Yes - I checked Briley and they are almost 600 bucks for one gage. Rhino's are not a lot cheaper off the shelf, but one can generally find a used complete set in the 600 buck range. I have seen two Rhino sets go for about 650 here on TS recently.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I used a set for skeet in an older Tula choked Krieghoff K-80 and they worked very well. The only issue I had at all was carbon build up. In ported barrels they get pretty sooty but will wipe clean fairly easy. I did not notice any bloops and really there should not be any. 15 inches of barrel should give fairly complete burns. The Rhinos come with screw in choke tubes in Skeet and IM if I'm not mistaken. You have to remove the tube to change the choke because of the short length which would seem to be a real PITA for sporting clays.

--- Chip King ---

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Chip - thanks!

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Don't even consider them...

7. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

claybrdr - how come???

8. claybrdr

Maybe you need a release keyboard.

Poor patterns, worked their way out of the barrels when ejecting empties...I know one set that I owned passed through 4 other hands within a month or so.

9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I am not defending the Rhino product line by any means, but I shot Registered skeet for about 8 years and have seen a lot of crappy Briley and Kolar custom-fit tubes as well. Even the best have problems occassionally - even the auto-giant Toyata:^) Appreciate your 1st hand observations on the Stinger tubes!

10. JPSmall

JPSmall Member

I posted this on shotgunworld last fall. thought it might be helpful.

"I asked the same question about rhino stingers a few weeks back and found some generic info, but nothing specific. I have had full length tubbed guns in the past and now wanted flexibility in shooting subgauges in multiple guns without the substantial investment in one particular gun. I wanted the flexibility to buy and sell guns without retubbing. With that said I am not a registered skeet shooter and am simply looking to have fun. After much thought and research, I went with the rhino stingers over the other "drop in" tubesets. Here are my thoughts and observations.
    1) Regardless of the rhino website, I can shoot reloads (AAHS, haven't tried STS), PROVIDED they are fully resized everytime.
    2) The O-Ring system can be a little bit of a pain. If you are switching guns or gauges you can go through the rings quickly. They are expensive to buy from Rhino and they don't give you alot, maybe 3 or 4 of each. I was told by someone with a micrometer the sizes are 15.875 inside diameter and 1.5mm, 1 mm and .75 mm in diamater. These are not standard size o rings and you will not find them in a local hardward store. I did find something close on line at various vendors. HAS ANYONE FOUND REPLACEMENT O RINGS IN THE MARKET PLACE?
    3) With my krieghoff and skb the tubes drop in easily and the fit is fine. MY beretta has a smaller bore size and fit is a little bit tight.
    4) Follow the directions and place a spent shell in the insert chamber EVERYTIME, otherwise you risk scratching your receiver. For some reason, in certain guns, the tube will twist if you cock the ejectors and it won't line up anymore. When you unknowingly close the gun things won't line up, it won't close and it may scratch the receiver. My beretta and skb are fine, by Krieghoff got scratched. This is in the directions, I just didn't read it thoroughly.
    5) With all this said, they shoot great. I did not pattern, I did not hook things up to a chronoraph, I simply shot them. I was impressed with the weight of the tubes and how solidly they are built. I have shot in my beretta 682 sporting the 28 & .410, my skb 785 the 28 & 20 and my krieghoff the .410. I was told the .410 sounded loud but otherwise I did not notice any signifcant difference. I've shot maybe 12-15 rounds of skeet with the tubes, mostly in the 28. I shot my first straight last wednesday in 28 and have consistently been in the 21-24 range with 20/28 and 18-23 with .410.

Best of luck.

11. claybrdr

If you are an occasional or recreational skeet shooter, Chambermates are cheaper weigh less and function better. Hell, anything works for shots that close as long as the empties will eject easily and the tubes fit in the barrels. We bought Stingers for Sporting Clays which is another animal entirely.

12. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Sounds like for some folks they work good and others not so good. I've seen & heard the chambermates and they sound rather bloopy because of the short tube length. My wife has a set of the long Chambermate .410 tubes and they seem to work ok for her. They smoke targets. A couple years ago we shot with some older guys at the club and she was using those "goofy" .410's. Granted it was a particularly GOOD day of shooting for her, but she was killing them and the old guys got really silent and quit coking & joking by the time we go to 4. You cold see them sweating a little. She was oblivious to the havoc she was causing - it was hilarious.

13. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Marlon, I have the Savage Four-Tenners and shot a 23, 25, and 24 skeet with them in my Winchester 101 the first time out. You do not blow up the birds but it breaks them.

I own Briley Companion tubes in all three gauges and, yes, they are expensive but work very well. Trouble is, they make your gun heavy, even the ultra lite set.
    I have seen the Briley Side Kick's. They are the best short tubes made, in my opinion. I like them because the extractors are much, much better then any of the other short tubes made. Also, they fit tight in your shotgun so they do not come out every time you eject shell.
    You can buy the full set of 6 tubes (Side Kicks) from Briley for $700.
    Give Woodsen Enterprises a try. He is good to deal with and handles Briley tubes. (call or email him for deals). Link to his site is above.
    Good luck! Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chambermate drop in tube set

problems with rhino stingers

rhino stingers review

rhino tubes sets

subgage tubes work with ejectors

using chambermates in twist barreled shotgun