1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RGP contact lenses?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Is anyone using these? I've been using soft contact lenses for about 10 years, with good results. However, there is a slight astigmatism in my right eye, which is presently uncorrected as i'm only @ .50 cyl, and toric lenses don't start until .75 From what I can tell, RGP should be better than soft contacts in just about every way, and will help to correct my slight astigmatism.

I always thought RGP were crazy expensive (IIRC, I was told in the $300/pair range, but maybe the person telling me that was including the exam and more than one set of lenses), but doing about 30 seconds worth of research online, it looks like they are around $30ish/lens, but the lenses last a very long time.

My vision is good in both eyes (20/15), but doesn't seem to be in focus in my right eye (kinda hard to explain, but it almost seems that each eye sees well by itself, but they aren't quite cooperating with one another to provide one view). I believe this is caused by my astigmatism, which is as bad as it can get without being correctable by soft contact lenses.

Any thoughts on soft vs RGP would be appreciated.

2. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

I'm an optometrist that has worn both and fits both. The best possible vision, even better than glasses, comes from a gas perm lens. There are side effects that must weigh into the equation though. If you are in dusty environments gas perms are tough. Yes they do last along time and care is easy. Be careful about buying them from some discount place as the production of them is a skill and most places who fit you will warrantee for replacement during the fit. Often it may require more than one pair to get it perfect. Brands of gp's all have their benefits and Boston is a good brand. Fit is more important so find a good Dr. by referal of a gp wearer.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't know what RGP means but I have astigmatism and first tried Toric's lens for astigmatism about three years ago. They helped but I found them uncomfortable and screwed up my close in acuity.

Two years ago I got a sample of the B&L Oasis for astigmatism. They're great! Much better acuity at all distances and very, very comfortable.

Your experience may be different but it's free to try a pair. What the heck. My eye doc is a shooter and his office is in Mesa, AZ. His name is Dr. Kerry Pearson. He's also great with shooting glasses. He's worked with Decot for years and they are who recommended him to me.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've never had to use the "ridgid" kind. My astig. is not too bad.

5. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I am a right handed shooter. I had lasik in 1996 on both eyes. My vision is still perfect 20/20 in my left eye after 16 years, but the right has become slightly far sighted and has some astigmatism. I wear a prescription in my right Decot lense, but I still don't see as well as I would like. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a Gas perm fitted to my right eye only and use it only when I shoot, but not wear it for everyday life.

6. logndog

logndog TS Member

I've worn contacts since the age of 11 and am now 42. A few years ago I switched to rgp lenses due to increased vision from a high prescription. They are the most uncomfortable things you could ever wear! I have a +6 prescription in both eyes and am legally blind in my right eye due to underdevelopment of my optic nerve. I had to switch to shooting to left handed a number of years back. To say the least my vision is of the utmost importance to me. A few years back while waiting for a shoot off I was talking to Dr. Andy Davidson of Tipp City Ohio concerning my vision or lack thereof. It was great talking to someone who could understand what I was talking about when referring to what I was seeing while shooting. After or discussion Andy told me he thought he could help my vision, so the next week I made an appointment for the 3hour round trip. It didn't happen right away, but Andy worked on it until I have now what I consider the best vision I can ever remember. He worked with the developers of a new cutting edge contact that is a hybrid. It is a soft lens with a rgp center. When I first put in the latest pair ( we had to try several fittings to get it just right), it was like watching an HD tv for the first time. I can't say enough good about Dr. Davidson or these new contacts.
    Earnie Ross III

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had Lasix 10 yrs ago and my right eye is now seriously affected with keratoconus meaning my cornea is really messed up with multiple facets ...I'm currently waiting for my new RGP lens as they will be the only way I will see with that eye at all...I spent months trying to get a hybrid lens that was harder in the center with soft edges..but they just didn't cut it...I should have stuck to glasses 10 yrs ago

8. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

logndog said "A few years ago I switched to rgp lenses due to increased vision from a high prescription. They are the most uncomfortable things you could ever wear!"

Do any others of you who wear Gas Perm lenses feel they are very uncomfortable? I was hoping to use one in my right eye only when I shoot, but if they are this uncomfortable, I may have to stay with my prescription in my shooting glasses.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

From what I've read, they do take a week or two to get acclimated to, and you have to accept that and be willing to live through it for a little bit until your eye adjusts to them. As far as I can understand, with soft contacts, the contact conforms to fit your eye, and with RGP contacts, your eye conforms to fit the contact.

10. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Is there any of you who wear a gas perm lense in only one eye? If you only need correction in one eye, will the doctor prescribe just one lense?

11. logndog

logndog TS Member

You can't just pop in a rgp lens to shoot in. It takes a few weeks for your eye to get acclimated to it. I already researched that route!

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Tractorboy...that would be a yes...I only need a contact in my right eye...be sure to go to a good doc and not a cut rate optical store

13. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I wore soft disposible contacts daily for 15 years. My vision has now deteriorated to the point where ACUVUE "Oasis" lenes no longer provide me acceptable vision. I had to switch to RGP contacts about 2 years ago. They do give me great vision...but cause my eyes to become blood-shot and swollen after about 4 hours of use. I have given up trying to wear them daily....and now only wear them when shooting. I take them out between rounds to keep my eyes from getting swollen. Talk about a PITA!

A brand new alternative that just come out from ACUVUE is called "TruEye". I have a trial box on order and will see if they can provide the same great vision as the RPG...yet the 14 hour comfort & wearability of Oasis. My doctor says they will. He's been wrong before, so we will see. These are 1 day lenes. Must be discarded once removed from eye. No re-wear possible.

14. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

Trueye lenses are only the daily version of Oasys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

contacts rpg for active person with astigmatism

what kind of lens to shoot trap having keratoconus