1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rex powders??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by metal1, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metal1

metal1 TS Member

looking to stock up on powder for reloading this winter and ran across rex powders has anybody used this and how do you compare to red dot /promo ..the price is really the reason ,thanks for the help and input ....jeff

2. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi Jeff:

Have went thru several of the 25lbs of Rex 1. It has worked great. Don't use Red Dot so can't give you a comparison. I decantered the bulk powder into used 8 lb cans, remarked them for ease of handling. Would still use it if available in this area, Az. G.E.G.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Thumbs up on Rex. Rex I for all around, II for Caps. III for Annies, or heavy field. :^)

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have used or am still going through about 66# of REX-0. Great stuff for 7/8 or 1oz loads. My favorite 7/8 oz powder. I've used 8-10# of REX-1 for 7/8 - 1 1/8oz loads. I use REX-3 for Skeet 20 gauges.

I think it is great stuff. REX-0 is really clean. I have about 6# of REX-2 I am going through in 1 1/16 oz loads and I probably won't get anymore of it. Nothing wrong with it, just not the best choice for my uses. As the REX-0 and REX-2 are used up I will probably just use REX-1 as I can make it fit all my 12 gauge needs.

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Using up some Rex II. Good powder but is just to bulky and allows the crimp to open over time.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jeff... I have used both REX I and REX II for some time. I use the REX I for 1oz. and REX II for 11/8oz. I stopped using REX I in favor of Promo, but, I like both just as well, and will buy whichever is available to me at the time I need it. REX II, however, is my go-to choice for handicap loads. I liken it to Green Dot and find the performance to be about equal. My 27yd. handicap load is STS hull, Cheddite primer, 21.5gr REX II, Downrange Versalite wad, and 11/8oz magnum 71/2's. This is a great handicap load and patterns extremely well. Comparing the cost of Green Dot to REX II, one can easily see why REX II is my choice..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

I shoot the REX 1 and REX 2 powders exclusively and have been shooting it for several years. It's the best powder with the least recoil I've used so far. I've tried Promo, all the Hogdon's and Red Dot, Green Dot. I prefer the Rex by far.

However if you find any of it you better buy it and as much as you can afford. I usually buy from Connie's components and they can't get it anymore. Graf and sons has some, but I heard the government of Hungary took over the manufacturing plant and has stopped all shipments out of the country.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rex powders