1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rex Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slugbug1, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

If you want to know this stuff just go to google, type in rex powder, and hit search. Not trying too be a smart a-- just trying to help.GaryL.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When available, get the 25 lb kegs. #0 is hard to find and is best for 7/8 oz loads in 12 ga. #I is similar to Red Dot in burn speed. #II is similar to Green Dot, #III is close to Unique. Rex is bulkier than mentioned powders. Suitable for Riefenhauser type hulls with a big boiler room. Works great in Federals, GM's and promo hulls. Not so suitable for AA types, unless you load 1 oz loads with 1 1/8 oz wads, etc.

Good cold weather performance, about as clean as Promo. Numbers II and III do not download well, load them up to where they are made to run.

3. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I would have to disagree about REX and AA type hulls. I load REX I and II in STS with 1 1/8 oz of shot in Windjammer wad. Same powder charge with 1 oz shot in 1 oz WJ wad for Skeet doubles and 12 gauge. My practice load for all 12 gauge is 7/8 oz shot in a Pink DR or CB 4100 with REX 0. All work fine with no space issues.

4. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

As well, I disagree with the REX1 statement and AA hulls. I shoot them exclusively for practice (Red and Gray)and switch to Gold Nitro hulls for competition using REX-1 powder and Winchester wads. I load 1 oz. and 1 1/18 oz. with REX1. Occasionally I will load my handicap loads of 1 1/8 with REX2.

The only reason I switch is because I don't have as many of the Nitro hulls and don't shoot them as often as the AA hulls and they are cleaner.

Don't have any issues with loads or space and the REX1 (in my opinion) doesn't have as much recoil as Promo.

Kevin

5. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i think that their web site leaves a lot to be desired, i wanted to use sts hull rem 209 primer rex 1 for a 7/8 load and they show very little info so i called grafs and they were very informative and gave me the go ahead w/ the recipe jmho steve

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My statement about Rex and AA hulls is valid for what I load. I like 20 gr #I with one ounce shot. This takes around a Mec #36 bushing. This load is not going to fit the AA hull with a typical one ounce wad, such as the Pink Claybuster.

Heavy loads of #2 take a lot of room in the hull as well.

I prefer 7/8 oz at 1350 fps, and both 1 and 1 1/8 oz (Caps only) at 1250 fps. In a properly fitted gun of good weight, recoil is not an issue.

Speed Kills!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.