1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REX powder?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pairaway, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

Any of you guys using Rex 1 out there? and if so do you like it? I have a chance to get some cheap. Also what are some of the loads?
    Thanks Bill

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Bill

YES! It is my favorite 12 ga target powder! I first bought it for the price, but went back for year round easy ignition, and good fit in riefenhauser cases. It THRIVES in cold weather. It may be the best powder I have ever used for 24 gram loads. It is also great in 1 and 1 1/8 ouncers. I no longer load 1 1/8 ounce loads, but use one ouncers at 1300 for handicap and 24 gram at 1360 for everything else. See website above for loading data.

What kind of loads are you looking for? Come up with a list of components and cases you have. You probably have what you need. If they have the 25 lb box, buy it with confidence.

BTW, it also seems to be very stable and meters extremely well in my MEC 9000's.

3. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

Thanks SC. I mainly will be using it in the Fed/Estate hulls with 15/16 oz and the FED S0 wad. I like 1200fps which looks like around 17.5 gr.
    Thanks

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, I've used a lot of REX-1, probably 100 pounds, and like it fine. It's quite similiar to Hodgdon Clays. A good price will be $8-9/lb, so it's substantially cheaper than Clays. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Phil E

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have used 6 box's of Rex 1 and 4 of Rex II. I like the results as well as the price. 17.4 grains with your combination of hulls and wad with a hot primer Fed 209A or RIO would give you about 1200 fps according to my chronograph. Ben

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Used it,

very happy with it!

Using up some powder that was given me right now, but will go back again!

Al

7. Shooting Coach

Dear Ben

How does the REX II work for you? I have friends that like quick 1 1/8 oz loads, and am thinking that II is the ticket.

The cold weather performance of REX I surprised me. After a cold day of listening to bloops with factory loads from other shooters, my REX loads were loud and clear, just like in warm weather.

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Shooting Coach, I use Federal Paper/Top Gun/ Estate hulls, 21 grs. REX II, F209A primer, FTL-1/12C1 wad, with 500 grs. 7 1/2 for games. I chronographed 10 shells and the Ave. Velocity was 1263 fps. For a standard handicap load, I load N27/STS hull with 20.2 grs REX II, RXP/WJ II wad, F616 primer, and 470 grs. # 8 shot. I have chronographed 30 or so shells and they average 1225 fps. I really like the softness of the shells, and the speed. Ben

9. Shooting Coach

Dear Ben

Even with REX I, I like the lesser felt recoil, as opposed to Promo, Red Dot or Clays. Solo 1000 is another soft shooter. It may be mental!

A calculator will show the recoil numbers are the same, but at the end of the day, the shoulder knows! LOL

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rex II is a great powder for AA TYPE 1 0z. loads. Shoots soft and crimps nicely.

11. Shooting Coach

For those of you who have not shot the Light Handicap (1 oz at 1290 fps)type of load, you are missing something. These loads are easy to shoot, but destroy everything in their path.

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Shooting Coach, I won 9 Belt buckles using 18.5 grains Rex 1 with Top Gun/Estate hulls, WJII wad, Fed 209A, and 470 grs. # 8 shot in Handicap this year. In my Perazzi TMX Special its a killer. Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.