1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rex powder observation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Randy......You have just discovered what a lot of us that used to shoot 1oz. loads did. Rex I is, without a doubt, the best 1oz. powder I ever tried, in mild climates. Very economical, metered well, and was very consistant from lot to lot. Soft felt recoil as well. If there is any drawback to this powder it is that it does not like the cold weather. I had a lot of trouble with it when the temps got into the 20-30 degree range, more so with REX II than with REX I. I found that, to get away from some soft sounding loads I had to bump the REX I up to about 19gr. and use a hotter primer to get the performance I wanted. I finally gave it up and went back to 11/8oz. loads with 700X. Not long after I switched back to 700X I discovered Promo powder. I REALLY like the Promo for several reasons. It, too, is very economical (cheaper overall than even REX), meters very well, and is very consistant. I do, however, have to make some minor adjustments in my charge bar when changing from one lot number to another but it is very minor. It has about the same recoil as 700X but recoil is not a big factor for me so I don't worry about it. The Promo is an excellent 1oz. powder that you really should try when you get a chance. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised, as I was. A great powder at a great value....Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

RMG, the less said about REX powder the better. It has been a well kept secret and therefore we can still buy 25 lb kegs at great savings. Keep it under your hat or demand will drive prices up just like it happened to Cheddite primers.

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you buy Rex in the 25 lb. canisters it is cheaper than Promo. It is about the same if you get it in the 2.2 lb cans. I never had a problem with Rex 1 in cold weather. I too have found it very consistant in metering volume. Rex 1 is a very fast powder. It does have more residue than Red Dot, but I have had very good results with it. It lends itself very well to 1 oz. and light 1-1/8 oz. loads.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have loaded 125 lbs of REX 1 and find it to be excellent powder even in cold weather if you change to a RIO or F209A primer. I really like it with straight walled wads and Estate or Top Gun hulls. 18.5 gr. with 1 1/16 oz shot at 1225 fps. Its a great handicap load and soft shooter. FD

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Randy.....Yes, it is cheaper than using REX because you load about 2gr. less per shell. I bought 40lbs of Promo for $354.00. That comes out to $8.85 per pound for Promo. REX is currently $218.72/25lbs from Connies. That comes out to $8.74/lb. By reloading 2gr. less with Promo than with REX, the Promo comes out cheaper than REX over the long haul. Buying REX in 2.2lb. cans comes out to over $79.00/8lbs. from Connies, which is about $8.00 more than an 8lb. keg of Promo. With Promo costing about $74.00/8lbs. it is about equal to the cost of REX. Both are good powders, but, as FarmerD above says, some changes in your loads with REX are necessary in cold weather. I'll stay with Promo...Dan

6. 100straight

100straight Member

Rex-1 must have really gone up. The last 25# I bought a year ago was $180. I changed jobs and moved over the summer and my shooting fell way off. I haven't had to buy very many reloading componants in the last year. I'm also still shooting $15 a bag shot!

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mark....The $180.00 days are long gone. The best buy on REX these days is from Connies Components, in Washington. Their current price is $218.72/25lbs. picked up in Washington....Dan

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

TRAP2
    Was wondering where you purchase Promo for 74 bucks a keg. I would be interested in about 5 kegs. FD

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

FarmerD... I bought 5 kegs from Best Buy Shooting Supply out of Chattaroy,
    Wash., last July at the PITA Grand Pacific. I paid $70.80 per 8lb keg. Connies Components in Centralia, Wash. has it on their website for $74.99 in 10 keg increments. I believe Best Buy is in the $74.00 range for 1-2 kegs. The drawback to this is both places are pretty much will call only. I will be buying 5 more kegs at the Grand again this year for sure.......Dan

10. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I'll see about picking some up at the Inland Empire in Spokane this year, if Bill has any then. Thanks FD

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

FD......Bill is the source. I don't have a copy of this months On Target magazine here at work or I could tell you how much he is getting for Promo. He will be in Medford this week end as far as I know....Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.