1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REX POWDER, Got any opinions about it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tracer, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracer

Tracer Member

A friend gave me a fairly large quanity of REX #2. He told me it compares with Green Dot as far as loading spec's. Got any opinions on using it or loading issues?
    Thanks, Del

2. pens1992

pens1992 TS Member

Great powder but hard to get just bought 25lbs thats how much I like it. Not very much recoil but its a dirty powder try it I bet you'll be hooked

3. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I have found it hard to regulate the drop weight evenly - I fought with it for a few thousand loads before I found out that if you put the tall bottle on the powder side and fill it up it will weigh pretty evenly - just keep the tall bottle over 1/2 full and it is not bad -- does not hurt to wack the bottle a few times once in a while to settle it down, too. Great soft shooting long yardage powder -- very comparable to Green Dot and PB but a little bit cleaner and cheaper. Probably would not be very great for 1 oz loads. I like 20.5 gr Rex II in a Remington hull, Claybusters CB1118 wad and 1 1/8 oz shot, and a Winchester primer -- gets me about 1220 ft/sec. the beav

4. WGB

WGB Member

I used Rex I for 1oz. loads and found it loads and behaves just as well as Red Dot, could have been a little dirtier or I just thought so.

ConniesComponents.com handles it in bulk and ships.

RexPowder.com has loading charts. Depending on the components used they have both 1oz. and 2oz. data for Rex II.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I've used about 50 lbs. per year since it came on the U.S. market. I'm still using it....no issues. It loads like Green Dot and even uses the same or nearly same bushing.

Buz

6. Tracer

Tracer Member

Thanks to everyone for the input. Think I will try that 20.5 load on Wed. at the games. I appriciate the info. Del

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

RexII Rem hulls and downrange wads(spolar gold) and lime green 1 1/8 and 1 oz 21gr and 19gr respectively both right about 1200fps. had used clays and green dot before price is right and soft shooting

8. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I have gone through 5 25 lb boxes of REX I, and 4 boxes of REX II and find that it is excellent powder and inexpensive as well. I'm not sure if Connie's still sell in in bulk. I bought 10 25 lb boxes three years ago and only have one of each left.

REX I 17.4 gr. with F616 primer/original WJ II wad.\1 oz. shot in WAA hull great for 16 yd.

REX II as stated above with 1 1/16 oz for handicap. BRGII

9. oletymer

oletymer Member

Connies ships a case of 10 2.2lb containers for $239.99 hazmat included. That works out to 87.90 for 8 lbs hazmat included. They don't ship the 25 lb container that must be picked up.

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I swithched about 2yrs ago from 700x. I use it for 10z but I find it meters very evenly in fact right where I want it. You need to make sure you don't load to light or the loads are kind of eractic. I load 20.0 of rex II. IT is a soft recoil but does not like the cold very well so I keep mine out of the cold till I am ready to go on the line.

11. Tracer

Tracer Member

I loaded my Active hulls with 20.5 gr of REX 2 using a 12C1 Fed wad and 1 1/8 oz of 7.5s and shot games from 27 on back to the fence and found that it has a very soft recoil compared to GD and destroyed the targets when I done my part. I plan on going to Connies next week and picking up a few kegs of it. I had no problems with metering it in my PW 2000. Loads were within 1/10 of a grain when I weighed several. Residue is comparable to GD I think, but love the soft recoil. Del

12. win101trap

win101trap TS Member

Win. AA hulls, Claybuster wads, Fiocchi primers, 1 oz. 7.5 and 17.6 gr Rex1 in Pacific Loader. Equivilent to Red Dot and shoot at all distances. Great Powder. Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.