1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rex II...Tell me why not!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JN618, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JN618

JN618 TS Member

I am fairly close to switching from 700x to Rex II. Does anyone have anything they want to say about their likes/dislikes on each of these powders.

Any and all comments are appreciated,

John

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Great powder but with a few differences. I have shot many kegs of it and it all worked fine. It is not as clean burning as 700X and it is a high volume powder (larger bushing size) than what you are using now, but the savings in money made up for the differences as far as I'm concerned. Rex II reminds me of Green Dot.

REX I will be a little closer to 700X than REX II.

Mark

3. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Use it all the time. I find it FILTHY if you try to load light loads. Standard trap loads tend to burn the powder out of the barrel.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Its made in Nitrokemia, Hungary??? I'd use Green Dot if I wanted a powder with similar burn rate. I do like 700X, meters well and burns clean. JMO. Wayne

5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Its not American made...

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I agree with Mark ; Rex I will be a more economical powder .

A while back Graf's (or someone) offered a deal with 10 cans of Rex . I got 6 of R I abd 4 of R II . I would buy more if the larger containers could be shipped but for now PROMO offers the most economical ans easiest to obtain powder .

YMMV
    Charlie

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

wayneo- But if people stopped buying powder made in Hungary and switched to powder made in the USA, what would happen to the jobs in Nitrokemia, Hungary?

Pat Ireland

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Pat ... who cares?

9. woodski

woodski Member

I use Rex 1 for 7/8oz, Rex 2 for 1oz, & Rex 3 for 1 1/8oz all sporting clays loads pushing 1300 fps and love it ALL. The previous posts about loading it hotter to get cleaner burning is very true. I buy 25 lb boxes for Connies Components locally here in Wash. State and just bought another 25 lbs yesterday! If you clean your gun at least every other time anyway (I do every time) it is really not that big of deal. Try it you will like it and saves lots of money. Good luck shooting aand if you every get to Evergreen Sportsmans Club in Wash. State I'll let you try some of mine! Bob Woods EVSC President

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ahab- Some seem to care. They always select an imported powder over one made in the USA. Isn't Nitrokemia (Nitro Chemical) a great name for a town that has a powder plant?

Pat Ireland

11. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

About a year ago I heard that the Hungarian government went into the REX manufacturing plant and took it over. I also heard that they will stop selling to the U.S.

I've personally noticed that places like Connie's Components and Gamaliel aren't carrying it any more. The only place I can find any REX powder is Graf and Sons.

Kevin

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kevin- Why would the Hungarian government not be hungry for American dollars?

Pat Ireland

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to remember why this happened. AS I said it was over a year ago.

It had something to do with the plant losing money and not being able to pay their employees if I remember right.

Anyway you can certainly see from the multiple websites that carried Rex powders in the past no longer have it. And I noticed that Graf's has run out of a couple of versions. I think Rex 1 is all they have left.

Kevin

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

700X is not made in the USA either.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

what's wrong with red dot and green dot?

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Not a darn thing Barry, if they don't work for your singles, doubles and caps it's you not the powder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.