1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REX II Powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kiwiG, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, I got given half a tin of Rex II powder...reloading data is a bit sparse on the net. Is anyone here using it? More specifically for 1oz loads? Even better...with Fed 209A primer in winchester hull? Any help appreciated. Cheers-Graham.

2. Chris

Chris TS Member

Mash on the above.

Chris

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Too slow for one ouncers, this powder is comparable to Green Dot. Great propellant for heavier loads using 1 1/8 oz.

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Thanks guys, I had already visited the Rex site and seen the tables. I assume the CH primer designation is Cheddite. I had also read of the similar characteristics to Green Dot, and yet lighter loads are listed on the Rex site. Luckily I only have a small amount...I might use it for fishing instead. Cheers-Graham. PS-Just kidding about the fish.-G.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Coach: I've been loading Green Dot (20.3 grins) in 1 once handicap loads for about 20 years. Have I been screwing up that long? Seems I have broken more than a few targets with that load.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

shot410ga..... I have to go with Coach on this one....While Green Dot is a viable 1oz. powder, it is not the best choice for them. Burns much too slow and is much too dirty in a 1oz. load. Green Dot is primarily a handicap 11/8oz powder, and performs best when used as such. There are several other powders available that will give you better performance for 1oz. loads, as well as a lot more economical. REX I or Promo come readily to mind. Of course, Green Dot will work fine for them, but, in my opinion, it's like using a 30-06 to shoot rabbits. Will work just fine, just not the ideal choice.... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

No one has been messing up with Green Dot and one ouncers, but it is made for heavier shot loads at a goodly speed. I have seen load data using up to 27 gr of GD and REX II for one ouncers.

A lot of powder, when 8 or 9 grains less of Promo, Red Dot, Clays, or Solo 1000 will do the same, and burn cleaner. I am a cheapskate when it comes to powder.

Some of my ammo goes in a gaspipe I use as a loaner. It shoots so well I have to take it to the range occasionally (Belgian Winchester Super X-II Signature Sporter).

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Mr Shooting Coach...PM sent. Cheers-Graham.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just be careful, since the Federal 209 primer is not the same as the Federal 209A. Used RexII for some target loads in a few handgun rounds. Worked fine. Also worked in a few 12ga shotshells, but I loaded 1 1/8 oz. Didn't try 1oz. I used it for a 3 Dram (1200 fps) 1 1/8 oz load and it worked as expected. Didn't have a reason to go faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rex powder reloading data