1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

revolver sights ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shannon391, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I have a question about sighting my new Smith airweight snubby.

The gun shoots about 8-10 inches to the right at ten yards. The rear sight is just a groove but the front sight looks like I could ping it over one way or the other. Is it possible to get this much correction by moving the front sight or should I just learn to hold to the left?

Thanks, shannon

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Thats a pretty short sight plane. be careful when pinging it over. Just a little will go a long way.

Bob

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Try different ammunition, especially different weight bullets.

Are you left handed?

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No I'm a righty, my buddy also shot with the same results.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The correct fix is to turn the barrel into or out of the frame just a bit. (doesn't take much) This is a tricky trial and error process and may not be possible if the barrel is pinned in place. Bending the front blade over is the more common approach but getting a 10" correction @ 10 yards will almost have you holding the gun gangster style if you go this route.

Are you noticing any pronounced lead/jacket shaving on either side of the cylinder end of the barrel?

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't use the sights, point it and shoot it. HMB

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't mean to be insulting but be sure to tap the front sight to the right looking down the barrel hammer to muzzle. Bulge.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Wolfram,

The barrel is fixed, Haven't noticed shavings but I only have 50rnds through it this evening using some cheap ammo.

My buddy bought a compact 9mm semi, we were tack driving with that one. I kind of felt like I bought the wrong one.

HMB,

I think I could shoot it better that way!

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I would not try to bend the front sight. Sometimes the barrel is either screwed on too much or too little. In your case see if the barrel has been turned on too much so that the front sight is leaning slightly to the left as you sight down the barrel. If that is the case, you could probably send it back to S&W for a free fix.

Either way, if it shoots that much off at only 10 yards, you should get it fixed under warranty

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

P3AT-Pat-is usually right (IMO), but this time I have to disagree.

The S&W snubbie is plenty accurate out to more than 25 yards. One gun writer has tested quite a bit at 100 yards.

Back in the really old days, late 60s-early 70s, we had to qualify at 50 yards with our revolvers, including the 2" snubbies. No problem at all.

Unfortunately, over the years, law enforcement has reduced the distance for qualification and recently the agencies in my area have stopped shooting at anything farther than 15 yards. Too many young recruits were failing to qualify.

Bob

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Send the gun back to S&W. They will fix it or repair it.
    They will even pay the next day air charges both ways.
    Call customer service with the serial number.

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree with contacting Smith & see what they say. They may have an answer. If you send it back,have a pretty good idea or what ammo you will be shooting & tell them this. The bullet wt range & velocity are the impt things,ie lite 148 gr target loads or mule stomppers.

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

While I understand you and your friend have the same results, it is extremly hard to shoot a snubby without long practice time and have the same results you would have with a six inch target gun. Most displaced shots are the result of improper trigger control. The only thing you should do before trying to alter the gun, is to find yourself a machine rest you can lock the gun in and then fire about 5 rounds in it and see where your shots end up using the rest.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Rick,

I am finding out that a 2" double action wheel gun can be vary hard to master.

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My old chiefs special S&W will generally hit a shotgun shell box at 50 feet. My Charter Arms undercover will do the same if I aim 4 inches over the top. The above poster is right, snubbies are a lot tougher to shoot than a 4 inch service revolver or a 6 inch target gun. Have someone who shoots his own snubbie well try it, if it is still bad, send it back. good Luck

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes those little guns are hard to master but generally the j frame S&Ws are capable of very good accuracy and they hit reasonably close to the sighted point. The problem you are having makes me think you got a gun that has some kind of defect. If your warrantee is still in effect then I wouldn't mess with the gun, just send it back. In the meantime you have a new excuse to buy another gun:)...

One fun and cheap way to practice with these little guns is to use bullx rubber bullets pressed into primed cases. Hang a piece of carpet in a plywood box and you can bast away indoors to your heart's content. Shake the bullets out of the carpet and use them over and over. Great way to work on your instictive short range shooting at a cost similar to cheap rimfire ammo.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The old timers would have screwed the barrel one way or the other, or filed one side of the rear sight groove. They fixed elevation by filing the front or rear sight as well. Crude but they got by with it. I'd be inclined to send it back to S&W for a fix. I want my fixed sight guns to shoot within 2 inches of aim at 7 yards at the very worst. Most are pretty close to dead on. The ammo can make a difference in some instances. I have about a half dozen "J" frames with fixed sights and they are all pretty close. My "K" frames can do even a bit better, or so they seem. It does take a lot of practice to get good results. If the grips are a bad fit, it can also have an effect, as can your hold and trigger pull. Shooting over the sand bags or preferably from a rest, can sometimes help get it sorted out.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

First make sure the gun is shooting to the right and you are not shooting the gun to the right. If the problem is the gun, let S&W fix it.

Bob- I agree with you. Pistols are intended to be shot at 50 yards using one arm fully extended. I am an old Bullseye shooter.

Pat Ireland

19. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks guys,

I bought this gun yesterday, It was used with a lot of custom work by some well known guru, trigger and action job, EZ big sight, custom rosewood grips, rounded and finished.

I will try it with better ammo today over sandbags. If not any better It's going back.

CCW class is this weekend, I think I will bring my Browning HP.

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

why worry ab out it, you did not buy a target gun? It will only be effective up to about 15 yds, just point it like you do with your shotgun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lpa revolver sights